+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Westminsters

I'm David.

Default Wow! Alterations? Who Would Have Thought?

4-WRSE-LF-XO.jpgI have agonised over the Serbian/Croation plans posted on DIY Audio and link posted on AoS. While I thank the guy for the plans, muddled as they are. If not for him I wouldn't have started.

So I have discovered that the Horn section behind the Driver in his plans is WRONG. The photo indicates how it should be built. Simon if you are still around. Apply this modification. Then be amazed.

I'm Josie.

Hi Dave. Don't you get the crossovers vibrating on the back being behind the driver?

I've often thought about trying it on my cabinets (Lockwood Majors) as the cabling could be cut down dramatically.

Also, what type of internal wiring are you using?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm David.

Hey Josie
    Very nice speakers I'm told. I have no issue with vibrations on the Xover boxes. But my driver is dampened by sand all around the internal box, very thick rear baffle around 40mm. Also these speakers are braced with wooden dowels premium glue and screws everywhere. You can feel slight vibration only. The internal wiring is QED Silver.
    Dave

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Dave. Don't you get the crossovers vibrating on the back being behind the driver?

I've often thought about trying it on my cabinets (Lockwood Majors) as the cabling could be cut down dramatically.

Also, what type of internal wiring are you using?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Hey Josie Just realised you thought the photo was the back of my Westies. No it is not. This a factory built Westminster Royal SE or HE. My reason for adding same is to stress my point that the the rear of the horn starts here. I will add some photos of mine to indicate change. The results are amazing.

I'm David.

Hi All I do not regularly check in to follow my build. That is the Westminster Royals I built way back in 2011. But I find it comforting to know quite a few have been inspired to build these amazing speaker cabinets (hello Simon)since what I think were the first posted in English at least, on the web. I should explain again. My plans were drawn from a Croatian/Serbian post on one of their DIY Forums. In Croatian, no less. I used Google Translation to English. Yes I was pretty keen to build them.
    It goes a little deeper than that. The guy that ultimately posted the plans didn’t build them. A friend did so for him.

So where are we today. As I most recently posted. There was a mistake in the Croatian Plans. At the back of the driver no less. This I discovered from photos posted on Jeff Days page re Westminster’s. Mine are now changed to reflect this. My Xovers are external and hang from springs mounted on the rear of the cabinets. Two days ago a good friend of mine, thanks Dave, fitted Mundorf EVO Oil Caps on the HF side only. My friend Simon in the Uk was not all that impressed at completion of his Westies build, with the resultant sound. Wrong Simon. Nirvana is something you have to work at. I’m getting close with the Mundorfs.

I'm Adrian.

Absolutely wonderfully done, you should be really proud, I bet you can't wait to hear them, really interested to know what the end result is. I'd love a pair but think I would fail with negotiation with SWMBO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm David.

Adrian go for it. Such fun to build and not overly difficult with a few wood working skills. Interpreting the plans as scant as they are is the most difficult part.
    The result is something you will never Part with. These drivers HPD385’s I have had since 1973 in various speaker designs that I built. I feel they have arrived as it were now they are in the Westies.

I'm David.

Upgrades
    So having lived with these massive boxes now for almost ten years. OMG is it that long since I constructed in my garage in another place. Weirdly now I have a Workshop with a Saw Bench twice as many tools, the garage is twice the size of the previous. A good friend suggested I up grade the components of the Xovers. There is a lot of activity on the Tannoy Web Sites re Xovers improves.
    So two stages. First was High Range. Changing all the caps to Mundorf EVO Oil. This change is the most remarkable I have witnessed at any time from the build overall. Perhaps I will document in a later post.
    However this was not the end of it and yes you guessed Low Range is now blessed with the same Capacitors. I listen every day for one to two hours to a whole new collection of music. And no I haven’t splurged on whole lot of new vinyl or CDs, I’m just hearing stuff on them I haven’t heard before. How good is this hobby.

I'm David.

Default Italy and Westminster's

Ho ha I wonder what people will make of the above title. I was compelled to comment after telling a friend just now here in the high alps of North Western Italy about my Tannoy construction and the Westminster Royals that have pride of place in my Music/Media Room. A dedicated space for an audiophile or to contemplate the world each morning at 5am(I have two cats) The build all those years ago has quite a number of visits, over 91,000 OMG.
    Tannoy people are like cricket fans, rusted on. I think I should make more regular comments here; a new years resolution if you will.
    Cheers Daveskis
    PS Yes I am skiing, wining and dining.

I'm Chris.

Wishing I still had my Klipschorns now!!(or the ones currently on eBay?)
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031