+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Westminsters

I'm David.

Stained the internal panels to match the outer panels last night. The Tasmanian Blackwood has been ordered for the external panels......I'm amazed at the huge difference in the wood color of the sheets from almost creamy yellow to reddish brown. It is indeed a beautiful timber and from one of the oldest forests on the planet.
    I have decided to strengthen all the panels.......this is not on the plans, but can't be anything but a good idea I'm thinking.

I'm David.

Panels have been trimmed and sanded. The outer panels are checked for fit and more bracing 19mm ply strips are added for strengthIMG_2285.jpg

I'm Peter.

Did you make any modifications to the plans from the Serbian project?

Any useful tips you have encountered would be greatly appreciated. Do keep us informed on you progress and plenty of photos please.

I hope to embark on a similar project soon.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by daveskis View Post
    Panels have been trimmed and sanded. The outer panels are checked for fit and more bracing 19mm ply strips are added for strengthIMG_2285.jpg

LOL, I can see your cat doing a stretch in the background, and it's bum in the air. Nasty little thing

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by pavalon View Post
    Did you make any modifications to the plans from the Serbian project?

Any useful tips you have encountered would be greatly appreciated. Do keep us informed on you progress and plenty of photos please.

I hope to embark on a similar project soon.
    Peter be very careful with the plans. As I indicated before he has mixed up plans from elsewhere with his own.
    I have altered the panel sizes of most panels and added quite a bit more internal bracing.
    As indicated by one of these forums he has the front speaker horn slightly too high(although I think this is more aesthetic than anything else)
    If you start with construction of the bases and then the internal panels and work towards the outer panels, you can't go wrong really.
    Make no mistake they are complicated, print out the plans and study them for a couple of hours, before you start.

I'm Steve.

Wow, this is a great looking project.
    As a GRF builder and now 5 way horn DIY builder I know some of the logistics involved in something of this scale. Full marks for taking it on.
    I look forward to reading the updates and that wonderful time of commissioning and first listening...

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by daveskis View Post
    Peter be very careful with the plans. As I indicated before he has mixed up plans from elsewhere with his own.
    I have altered the panel sizes of most panels and added quite a bit more internal bracing.
    As indicated by one of these forums he has the front speaker horn slightly too high(although I think this is more aesthetic than anything else)
    If you start with construction of the bases and then the internal panels and work towards the outer panels, you can't go wrong really.
    Make no mistake they are complicated, print out the plans and study them for a couple of hours, before you start.
    Have printed out all the plans and tried to familiarise myself the different panels and their connecting pieces. Hoping to just hand over a spec list to my local timber merchant for pricing and hopefully if not too expensive also for him to cut the wood to the exact sizes.
    I will not rush into this as you said it is a complicated build.........
    Keep the progress report coming in.........

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Wow, this is a great looking project.
    As a GRF builder and now 5 way horn DIY builder I know some of the logistics involved in something of this scale. Full marks for taking it on.
    I look forward to reading the updates and that wonderful time of commissioning and first listening...
    Thanks Steve, I read your posts of the GRF build with great interest before i started the WMR's.
    I did wonder a couple of times about building the GRF's. I guess it comes down to plenty of designs and details of builds for the GRF's and alas only one I could find on Westminster's(written in Serbian, and nothing wrong with that he did a fantastic job, better than I did on the translation for sure)........and I'm crazy enough for the challenge, hope they come someway near your job Steve.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by pavalon View Post
    Have printed out all the plans and tried to familiarise myself the different panels and their connecting pieces. Hoping to just hand over a spec list to my local timber merchant for pricing and hopefully if not too expensive also for him to cut the wood to the exact sizes.
    I will not rush into this as you said it is a complicated build.........
    Keep the progress report coming in.........
    Yes mate caution is a word you should use often in sentences describing this build(just try for instance looking at the plan and figuring out where the rear horn goes from the 15" drivers to the front)
    Start with the base(don't use any of the plans first listed on his posts No.6-11....Print No.12 which is the List of all the Panels, then all No13. Starting with WMR 1.pdf to WMR 19.pdf)
    As I started to say build both bases Panel R, as he has done and then build from the centre out.

I'm David.

Default Some Notes On Construction

As I said earlier on this thread, I did a lot of research before starting the build on the WMR. Even to the extent of checking which type of adhesive would be best suited to the task. For all the joints requiring strength(screwed and glued), I'm using Durabond a Selleys product which has very high strength. It is unusual when it is drying it expands filling the joint and any gaps. Ok it is twice the price of Aquadhere......but excellent nonetheless.
    I also use Interior Aquadhere for the larger areas gluing ply and veneer on to sheets of MDF.
    For extra bracing where strength is required on internal Panels D I use strips of 25mm square ply and for locating of panels, on the Base Panel R and the Top Panel T, strips of 19mm square ply.
    All the internal Panels are 18mm MDF the outer including front and rear 25mm with 3.6mm veneer adding up to 28.6mm.
    And yes I did make the bases 54mm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast