+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Westminsters

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by simonms View Post
    Cheers Joe,

I ended up with no internal damping on the first pair after much experimentation and waiting for the drivers to settle in. They sound really nice the way i have them, the originals had no damping so i thought this may be the outcome. I suspect the same will be the case for these. Ferenc, the fellow who's build gave Dave the inspiration to build these used a lot of internal wadding but i found i preferred the sound on my build without...i have about £150 worth of various damping materials that are now redundant but will try them again on the new pair and do some measuring again.
    I hope that the more solid curved sections and the ply will be a nicer sound through these but will have to wait and see...must chat re. cross overs at some point again, will be in touch in a few months

One reason for the curves being built outside and not into the cabinet is that veneer can be vacuum pressed onto them so a nice veneer needs to be chosen for my third and final pair.

Cheers Si.
    Hi Simon
    You must have these up and purring along by now or should that be growling.
    I was sitting and listening to vinyl yesterday. The sound coming from the WM places the voices and instruments through the soundstage. The sound is dynamic and demands your attention. You may think you can read the latest Stereophile while playing a track or two, but before long you are engaged in the music again. The ability Simon, of the Westies to distract you back to the music is amazing.

I'm David.

Default And Finally

Finally, at last, the Crossovers are external and located inside a couple of Tasmanian Blackwood boxes, sanded and bees waxed to death.
    I would not have believed the sound could gain so much, the depth and the soundstage is incredible. It was suggested by a couple of audio mates that the Alnico magnets could have a not too wonderful affect on the xovers. So moving the xovers from the previous location on top of the Westies to just about anywhere else will improve the music. Oh yeah?
    If only I had known how significant this was to be. IMG_4750.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Like the use of springs!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Like the use of springs!
    Yes energy is everywhere. Trying to isolate the box as much as possible. The speakers produce quite prodigious bass and these boxes are picking that up despite this isolation. Im wondering where does it stop. Should I dampen the interior of the Crossover Boxes as well. Probably, the improvement is already remarkable.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It's common for manufacturers to damp their components.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    It's common for manufacturers to damp their components.
    Yes I think this could produce results

I'm David.

Default Some More Tweaking

Yes I hear you asking but what are you going to do about the cabinet resonance on the outer wall of the Westies. Well not one to leave well enough alone. I thought I would fix lead lined Plywood or MDF.....haven't decided which yet.
    I'm hoping this will further tighten and deepen the bass. But first I may have to stop that annoying rattle from one of the windows when playing Miss Riddle-Boz Scaggs. Or maybe I should turn it down a smidgen

I'm David.

Default Leadlined OMG

Yes the lead lining was a mini disaster. It seems the cabinets need the resonance of the outer panels as does a Double Bass for deeper notes. The treble was more pronounced but that could have been because I wasn't hearing lower notes.
    The mini part of the disaster was removing the lead sheeting OMG.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by daveskis View Post
    Or maybe I should turn it down a smidgen.
    No.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    No.
    I didn't Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast