+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Westminsters

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by daveskis View Post
    Steve
    Some further advice.........
    I downloaded almost all of the photos and comments on each of the web posts. I presume you translated them first.

As I may have indicated, I spent literally hours studying every detail(the Westminsters are a very complicated design)and to further complicate matters the guy has also included some of the previous measurements from another copy which are clearly wrong(these are the four or five plans he posted before the 19PDF's)
    Sorry it sounds as though I am advising you against starting the build.

Feel free to PM me if you want advice as you go along.
    Thanks David. I am still just 'considering' the idea. I have never actually heard westminsters but I have heard Canterburys and a couple of other and all impressed greatly. Now, DIY canterburys would be doable too, but I have never seen any DIY versions.

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Peter.

The Tannoy Monitor Golds are on my wish list for a vintage/classic set up. Doing a lot of research on the various cabinet builds together with the upgrading of the crossovers etc.

I will embark on a similar project when I have decided on the rest of the gear hopefully over the coming months.

Do keep us informed on how you get on. I'm sure a lot of us will be asking a lot of questions on your recreation of the Westminster.

I'm David.

My garage is still lined with panels that unbelievably will still be added to the two enclosures.

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

I'm David.

Default It's Paul Klipsch fault entirely!

The Tale of the Tannoys
    Once upon a time way back in the 70's I attended a Hi Fi Show in downtown Melbourne Australia.
    There we were all gathered in a room to listen to a bass drum test record(yes that old fashioned vinyl stuff) The amp used can't remember, the speakers were those amazing Paul Klipsch Corner Horns. My body moved on that day
    with the bass drum. I was blown away as they say in the classics.
    I just have to have some of these I thought, couldn't be that hart to procure some.
    Fast Forward 2011.........(no I didn't buy Mr Klipsch speakers in 1974 I built Arden Monitors instead).
    So the drivers are 15" Monitor Golds Dual Concentrics HPD 385A's. The rolled edges have been replaced with new and the x overs have new components.
    The Ardens have served me well, it's now time to replace them, and in the back of my mind I'm hoping that the elusive bass drum sound will be replicated and move me once again in a couple of months time........from vinyl in my own living room, instead!!
    At worst I have two new places to live now.

I'm Dave.

At worst I have two new places to live now.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Steve.

Nice work David!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I really do doff my hat to you DIY chaps, it never ceases to amaze me what you create.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Peter.

Nice to have a garage to start a project such as this. Not easy when you live in an apartment where space and praticality is an issue. The only way for me is to hijack my parents garage but would mean clearing out all my other junk
    Good work Daveskis - what are using for the wood - mdf and birch ply?

I'm Brett.

I joined because or your build here, and I'll watch with interest.
    I've heard factory Westies a couple of times and nearly bought some a few years ago, out of Melbourne, actually.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by A9X View Post
    I joined because or your build here, and I'll watch with interest.
    I've heard factory Westies a couple of times and nearly bought some a few years ago, out of Melbourne, actually.

Brett
    Using MDF with Plywood Veneer might use Tasmanian Blackwood(its such a great and unique timber in Oz) as the finish material for all the outside panels. looking to make WMR's unique.....can't say Im that keen on the classic walnut factory look.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast