+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Great Classical Recordings

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I have the Lupu Greig/Schumann PC on vinyl & CD an it is superb. A little Kinsway rumble it more than offset by the acoustics of that venue.

Another of my favorite recordings is Artulfo Argenta's Concerto de Aranjuez which was a spanish columbia recording.

This spanish pressing is possibly better than the decca and can also be found on the Alhambra label.

I also prefer this early decca cover art by Karo to the later version.
    I've recently discovered Lupu - spending a lot of time with his Schubert piano works. Top drawer, will go back for more. On Decca, as are most of his other recordings I believe.

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The only way I can suggest Great Classical Recordings methodically, is to gradually go through my collection and pick out those I think might qualify. So still at the beginning of the alphabet and with J. S. Bach, I can recommend the following:

J. S. Bach – Goldberg Variations

Glen Gould, piano.
    1955, Sony 886 978 0606 2

This 1955 recording is regarded by many as the definitive recording of the Goldberg Variations. It is interesting to compare this recording with Gould’s later 1981 revisit. I prefer the earlier recording.

Another recording I enjoy is that by the Taiwanese pianist Chen Pi-Hsien, on Naxos.

1988, Naxos 8.550078

As chance would have it, this month’s BBC Music magazine comes with a recording of the Goldberg variations played by Freddy Kempf. A little more sombre and stately than either of the afore-mentioned recordings but interesting nonetheless and worth the £4.60 magazine price!

J. S. Bach – The 6 Cello Suites

Paul Tortelier, cello
    1961, EMI CMS 7 69434-2 (2 CD set)

Like the Goldberg Variations there are hundreds of recordings of the Cello Suites. I cannot say which is regarded as the definitive recording, if such exists, but I have no complaints about Tortelier’s interpretation. Would be interested in hearing Rostropovich playing these.

Another version I have on vinyl is that by Janos Starker:

In some ways I prefer this to that of Tortelier.

J. S. Bach – Concerto for Violin, Strings and Continuo BWV 1041 –1043

Simon Standage, Elizabeth Wilcock, violin. The English Consort, directed from the harpsichord by Trevor Pinnock.
    1983, Archiv (Polydor) 41 646-2

also:

Andrew Manze, Rachel Podger, violin. The Academy of Ancient Music, dir Andrew Manze.
    1997, Harmoni Mundi 907155

Both of these recordings use period instruments, but I prefer the version byThe English Consort: the astringent sound of period instruments that I appreciate is more apparent.
    I have spent many years with the Tortelier recordings of Bach's cello suites. I came across them as a student and spent the following few hours glued to them in the college library. I recently bought Steven Isserlis's Hyperion recording of the same, and would recommend them. He is less stern than Tortelier, but not at the expense of depth.

I have the Podger/Manze Bach too, though haven't heard the English Consort for comparison.

I'm Jo.

Default Shostakovitch ~ Symphony 11, The Year 1905.

91VNwRNiqBL._SL1500_.jpg*

Massive soundstage during the Allegro (The 9th of January) and the Allegro non troppo (Tocsin) - an incredible recording and in my opinion a great test of what your deck and phono stage can do, it absolutely trashes the CD version.

[* Stock photo]

I'm Kenji.

I'm used to analog recordings on vinyl trashing their CD versions, but it still surprises me when a digital recording sounds better on vinyl than on CD.

My only recording of Shosty 11 is Stokowsi conducting the Houston Symphony. I adore Haitink and the Concertgebouw's recording of No. 8, and I would love to hear their complete cycle on vinyl.

I'm gone.

Oops! - posted in wrong classical subforum!
    Last edited by jandl100; 22-11-2016 at 07:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567