+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gatorized Caiman, my first impressions

I'm Mohammed.

Smile Gatorized Caiman, my first impressions

Just received a Gatorized Caiman and sold the old one (actually a deal with a friend of mine who never uses headphones, so he took the non-gatorized caiman)

My first impressions in use with my AKG K 701 headphones :

-The bass is much more present and richer, nice work
    -The sound seems globally more dynamic to me
    -Clarity seems unbeatable, I can't imagine a sound more defined than that, I can hear every instrument distinctly, even in a crowded symphony
    -Treble seems sometimes, as with the previous caiman, a bit harsh, it's very slight, but to be fair, I can't define if that comes from certain records themselves, or from my AKG headphones response, or simply from my sensitive ears , as I have no point of comparison.

Overall, I'm very happy with my upgrade, just listened to Yehudi Menuhin's record of Beethoven's 9th symphony... simply a delight, Thanks Stan
    DAC : Beresford Gatorized Caiman // Headphones : AKG K701 // Speakers : Yamaha HS80M

I'm Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aturion View Post
    I'm very happy with my upgrade
    Just out of curiosity: If you compare the DAC’s volume knob to a clockface, where do you position it (10 o’clock, 11 o’clock and so on)? In which position of the volume dial are volume and sound most pleasing to you?

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Mohammed.

Hi Werner, it really depends on what is playing, most of time somewhere around 2 o'clock seems to be fine

When listening to some classic music I may have to "push" the knob almost all the way to the right to have enough power

Speaking of trebles, It's definitely smoother on my loud speakers than on my headphones, I guess I have to try another set of headphones before deciding if this is and output issue or a headphone issue
    Last edited by Aturion; 19-06-2011 at 08:58.
    DAC : Beresford Gatorized Caiman // Headphones : AKG K701 // Speakers : Yamaha HS80M

I'm Steven.

Hi Werner, it really depends on what is playing, most of time somewhere around 2 o'clock seems to be fine

When listening to some classic music I may have to "push" the knob almost all the way to the right to have enough power

My standard position when listening through headphones (Superlux HD668-B) is 10 o' clock. Sometimes the knob hits 11 o' clock and very rarely 12 o'clock but only for shorter periods. My source is a Squeezebox for 99% of the time.

Besides the fact that any louder gets really unpleasant, I cherish my hearing as well. I am not saying that you don't by the way.
    Last edited by Fi-Wi; 19-06-2011 at 11:04.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Werner.

most of time somewhere around 2 o'clock seems to be fine
    Thanks, this was also my favourite position of the volume knob when listening with the AKG K701 from the Caiman.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Steven,

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Wi View Post
    My standard position when listening through headphones (Superlux HD668-B) is 10 o' clock.
    are your headphones connected to the Caimanís headphone plug?

Werner.

I'm Steven.

Yes, permanently.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm Mohammed.

@Steven : The Superlux HD668-B have slightly less impedance (56 ohms) than the Akg K 701 (62 Ohms), and yes may be 2 o'clock is a bit on the high side , but the average position wouldn't be less than 1 o'clock for me

I'm Werner.

The Superlux HD668-B have slightly less impedance (56 ohms) than the Akg K 701 (62 Ohms)
    Iím not sure if an impedance difference as small as this is the reason for the 10 or 11 oíclock position on Stevenís DAC.

I just plugged my Beyerdynamic 990/600 (!) Ω into my Caimanís headphone plug. Also with this headpone, my prefered dial position remained something between 2 and 3 oíclock. However, even if I turned the Caimanís volume knob to the maximum position, no distorsions where audible with the DT 990, but everything beyond 3 oíclock is unlistenable with the AKG K701.

Werner.

I'm Steven.

I checked both impedances as well as I thought that would be the cause of the big difference in knob position, but being that close to each other (6 ohm), other factors may play a bigger role in this. Maybe someone technically informed here can tell me how this can be. The Squeezebox has fixed volume at 100% and is connected to my Caiman by a Mike Homar WBT-plugged coax.

I have a Sennheiser HD570 here as well but I use the same knob position for my Caiman/Gator when listening to the Senn.

Steven

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast