+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD800s & Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear good bedfellows?

I'm ERNEST.

The GSUL is not a very popular amp in Head-Fi...I think not many have actually heard it. But I know at least 3 members in another forum who are very happy with the GSUL+LCD2 combo.

I'm Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by etphonehome View Post
    The GSUL is not a very popular amp in Head-Fi...I think not many have actually heard it. But I know at least 3 members in another forum who are very happy with the GSUL+LCD2 combo.
    Which forum, out of interest?

Yeah, that's the thing about HeadFi, predominately US peeps which means a lot of the great gear they discuss (Woo Audio, Anedio D1, Schiit Lyr, EE Minimax, LCD-2s etc.) is expensive to source over here.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm ERNEST.

The GSP forum and a local Singapore forum:

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/
    www.sgheadphones.com

I'm Tony.

This is a bit stale now, but I don't pop in here that often these days.
    To the OP - IME the GS headamps take a good 500 - 600 hrs to fully "burn in" - no idea why, but it is definitely noticeable and has been commented on many times by experienced users.
    The HD800 will also take a good while to loosen up fully.
    Finally, cables DO make a difference and the wrong pair will give the symptoms you describe. A good all rounder is the VDH First Ultimate - not cheap - but very neutral.
    At the other end of the scale, Blue Jeans LC-1 are quite OK, although they can be a little harsh when new - they also need a few hundred hours to soften up.
    Bass seems often the last thing to develop fully with GS amps - again IME, but I think you will find that Miguel (MrArroyo) would also agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Millzee60 View Post
    This is very good on you. Everything I've seen in this and other forums shows you provide very good service and this is another example. When I've finished with the Young I have on load atm, I'll PM you to try and arrange something before I make any decision.
    It was a pleasure to meet up with you last night Colin. I hope you weren't overwhelmed with my large collection of headphones.

I was surprised that the Ross Andrews headamp cost so much, but that the modified Gator with THS4032 opamp and Rubycon/WIMA caps turned out the have the better of it. Especially when paired with the D7000. It's my main listening combi, but the SA5000 is also regularly used.
    If there are any interests I'll publish details on how to mod the Gator with those alternative parts. Other high end headphone users might be interested in the extra performance.

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga View Post
    We each hear things differently, there's no right or wrong :¬)

The bad news is that it makes me want the GSUL with PSU1, which is £600!
    or you could get the amp and an alternative psu like mine!
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Colin.

I tried to post this the other night but failed. Here goes again ...

I've just returned from a very interesting visit to Stan this evening. And I'd like to say thank you to him for being truly helpful with absolutely no pressure to buy anything.

I went along to compare the D7000s to my HD800s when connected to a variety of sources. I'd had the GS UL connected via a pair of chord chameleon interconnects to a standard Caiman, a Caiman with a modified Gator board and an experimental rig. The actual source was a Mac C2D laptop connected via an optical cable.

To my ears the D7000s are the ones I should have. I can understand why Stan regards them so highly. While base lines might not be as easy to follow compared to the HD800s, they are detailed and full, no sign of harshness. Vocals have a close and involving sound which I find very attractive. Curiously the built in headphone amp sounded better than the GS UL which seemed vailed and lacking detail by comparison.

For me the modified gator board with the D7000s plugged into the DAC gave the best results. The modified board is a bit lighter than the standard which brings out detail and cleans up the bass a little without losing any weight or drive, a neat trick

I now have to get hold of a pair of LCD2s before making a final decision but it looks like both senns and the GS UL will have to go
    Meridian 200/203 Graham Slee Ultra Linear Sennheiser HD800s Naim NAC60/NAP140 Ruark Talisman

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Millzee60 View Post
    I tried to post this the other night but failed. Here goes again ...

I've just returned from a very interesting visit to Stan this evening. And I'd like to say thank you to him for being truly helpful with absolutely no pressure to buy anything.

I went along to compare the D7000s to my HD800s when connected to a variety of sources. I'd had the GS UL connected via a pair of chord chameleon interconnects to a standard Caiman, a Caiman with a modified Gator board and an experimental rig. The actual source was a Mac C2D laptop connected via an optical cable.

To my ears the D7000s are the ones I should have. I can understand why Stan regards them so highly. While base lines might not be as easy to follow compared to the HD800s, they are detailed and full, no sign of harshness. Vocals have a close and involving sound which I find very attractive. Curiously the built in headphone amp sounded better than the GS UL which seemed vailed and lacking detail by comparison.

For me the modified gator board with the D7000s plugged into the DAC gave the best results. The modified board is a bit lighter than the standard which brings out detail and cleans up the bass a little without losing any weight or drive, a neat trick

I now have to get hold of a pair of LCD2s before making a final decision but it looks like both senns and the GS UL will have to go
    i would like to hear this combo.
    i cant believe the hpa on the caiman could out perform the solo ul.
    i guess i will never know
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It was a pleasure to meet up with you last night Colin. I hope you weren't overwhelmed with my large collection of headphones.

I was surprised that the Ross Andrews headamp cost so much, but that the modified Gator with THS4032 opamp and Rubycon/WIMA caps turned out the have the better of it. Especially when paired with the D7000. It's my main listening combi, but the SA5000 is also regularly used.
    If there are any interests I'll publish details on how to mod the Gator with those alternative parts. Other high end headphone users might be interested in the extra performance.
    how much would one of these units you speak of cost?
    i am curious now.

I'm Colin.

I too was very surprised to prefer the built in headphone amp over the GS UL. It occurred to me that the interconnects may not have been up to the job or maybe the audio out was compromised in some way but Stan never suggested it was so I really don't know.

And yet I'm not quite ready to give up on the the GS yet. I think a change of headphone first and then see where we go from there.
    Meridian 200/203 Graham Slee Ultra Linear Sennheiser HD800s Naim NAC60/NAP140 Ruark Talisman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast