+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungry for DAT!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Hungry for DAT!

After reading Beechy's thread and chatting about his DATs, I think I'll have a rummage on eBay, there's a lovely Sony DTC-57ES on at the mo for an opening of £90. Mmmm, wallet out!

Picture:

DAT talk here please!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Dave.

Oooooh nice looking machine. Make sure it's a working one though, parts are virtually impossible to maintain and the mechanisms are pretty fragile. Very nice looking bit of schmutter though. I think I might have a box of tapes somewhere that I don't need, if you get the player let me know and I will see if I can find em.
    Dave.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Nice one! Thanks Dave.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Nick.

That is a really nice looking machine! It certainly looks like it was designed to sit with other home kit, rather than some black thing with rack mounts (like mine ).

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul9...ascamda20.html

I've always had a thing about portables. The Denon DTR-80P had an attractive form-factor (identical to the Casio DA-R100).

You can get EMTEC DAT tapes from Tapecheck. I've not tried these myself, but have bought open-reel tape from them and they have been great. They have an eBay store as well:

https://www.btowstore.com/epages/Sto...ies/AUD/AUDDAT

DDS1 data tapes also work fine with Audio DAT players. Some say they don't handle errors as well - error correction on Audio recording and playback is different to data reading and writing. Audio tapes may rely less on the error correction intrinsic to data storage. DDS tapes are cheaper though.

Here's some links to DAT related stuff. Courtesy of the DAT-Heads list: http://solorb.com/dat-heads/Links.html
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That Sony looks absolutely gorgeous - just my sort of thing because it looks like no expense has been spared in terms of engineering or parts quality! I hate the plasticky shit that forms the basis of most of today's digital equipment.

And, Beechy, the Denon DTR-80P portable looks as if it too would 'roast' an iPod for sound quality!

Two questions:

1) Why, 99 times out of 100, does convenience and facilities win the day over performance and sound quality when it comes to today's audio technology?

2) Why did DAT fail commercially as a digital format? I never followed 'the story'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Two questions:

1) Why, 99 times out of 100, does convenience and facilities win the day over performance and sound quality when it comes to today's audio technology?

2) Why did DAT fail commercially as a digital format? I never followed 'the story'.

Marco.
    1) The majority of people don't understand the term sound quality and buy stuff because it 'looks' nice or impressive.

2) DAT didn't fail, it was a huge success. It was never aimed at the consumer though and was intended for purely commercial use. DAT was introduced in 1976 and has been one of the most prolific recording systems used in studios and outside broadcasts, a lot of studios still use it represents flexibility and convenience as well as being exceptionally high quality and able to compete with HD alternatives, especially as it's 24bit compatible.

The public never took to it as there was no real way to use it as a consumer, no in-car DATs, no 'personal' DATs so to speak (aside from the heavy and battery hungry portable recorders) and few hi-fi versions, certainly without rack mount lugs. The units and tapes were very expensive too and had to be treated carefully to avoid costly damage. Music has never been released on DAT either as far as I'm aware and most folk who'd record at the time would use compact cassette which was in its qualitative prime by then. As cassette was going out MD was coming in as were CDR machines, both of which were toppled by home computers gaining the ability to burn finalised CDs.

To hear a well set up DAT is a treat, whilst clinical in it's presentation, the sounds that come off a DAT tape are a treat to behold. Clean and crisp would be a great description, accurate and very faithful also, warm and valvey definitely not! I used to use DAT for recording and mastering, for both the accuracy and the fact that a direct digital lossless copy to CD could be made with ease, also a DAT would present EVERYTHING that was recorded and not just the nice bits.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Nick.

More thoughts later but I should say that Blue Bell Knoll by the Cocteau Twins was released on pre-rec DAT. I remember one coming up on eBay a few years back. There were some jazz releases around the time it launched too. But releases were very few and far between.
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 08-10-2008 at 12:45.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

To hear a well set up DAT is a treat, whilst clinical in it's presentation, the sounds that come off a DAT tape are a treat to behold. Clean and crisp would be a great description, accurate and very faithful also, warm and valvey definitely not!
    Rob, matey, I really must try to educate you sometime when it comes to valves because you've got the wrong idea entirely. A quick trip up to mine for a listen will sort it out

Modern valve equipment, or indeed valve equipment that has been designed properly in the first place, does not sound "warm and valvey" - quite the opposite, in fact! Allow me to give you a small insight into the sort of sound I'm used to with my valve gear...

Done properly, valves create the most 'alive', 'fresh', shockingly clear, detailed, vivid sound you could possible imagine, with huge dynamic scale and an almost haunting sense of 'air' and 'space' around voices and instruments so that performers appear to 'float' eerily around your ears like musical spectres - it has to be heard to be believed!

With accurately designed valve gear, despite the stereotypical image of valves, the musical ride is not warm or "cosy", although music is enveloped with a natural tonality so that it sounds 'real' without the 'grain' or 'edge' often superimposed by transistors.

If thinking of valves in terms of a 'musical ride', then imagine how you would feel strapped into the scariest rollercoaster ride of your life or how it might feel bungee-jumping down The Grand Canyon - the point I'm making is it's an adrenalin rush, not the feeling of being safely cocooned within the confines of a warm glow. This is the effect I get when listening to music with my Croft preamp and TD P/P Copper amp.

I hope that makes some sort of sense!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I recently listened to a system with a very expensive valve amp and a £5k pair of speakers, it sounded valvey to me, I could tell the difference in presentation. That's not to say that I dislike valves, but I still find them too... errr..... valvey if you know what I mean.

Atacama SE24 stands

I don’t doubt what you heard, mate. Do you remember which "very expensive valve amp" it was?

The problem is, most mainstream commercial valve amps, even expensive ones, sound exactly like the stereotypical valve sound often referred to by people with limited experience of valves, which is the complete opposite of what I like or what I'm used to listening to!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast