+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve Bias Play Time

I'm Andy.

Default Valve Bias Play Time

Hi All

Have been playing with the bias adjustment on my amp this evening. An Almarro 50125A with 6550 valves by Tung-Sol.

Originally I had the bias set at 150mV. This is the only valve amp I have owned that requires manual bias adjustment. Considering how many valve amps I've owned over the years it's a first.

While checking the bias value (which had not changed from the last check) I decided to raise the bias to the max value noted in the manual which is 160mV.

Back on went the music and immediately found the bass quite noticably firmer and punchy and the mids and highs a touch more open or clear may be a better description. The changes are evident on both CD and vinyl.
    I hadn't reallised what a change in sound I was going to get with such a small change in bias. I must admit I do like the change in character and presentation of the amp, bass definition and drive from the bass of Marcus Miller and Metallica much improved.

Has anyones else found this of have you adjusted your bias to greater or lesser values than recommended my the manufacturer

Having some thoughts now on looking at the valve compliment in rest of my gear, Pre, Phono, DAC and dirvers for the power amp and wondering if some changes there could have some useful results.

Andy - SDDW

Perceived changes to sounds ect were in no way influenced by the bottle or so of Red Wine I've just consumed.
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi andy,
    bias adjustments can change sonics quite significantly, depending on the type of amp you're using, how much standing current the valves are set at etc, for example, if you have a class A amplifier, this means that the standing current should be equal to the maximum current the amp is ever going to need, ie, it draws the same current all the time whether the amp is being modulated with sound or not! class A is very wasteful, but as far as a lot of purists are concerned, its the only way to go. single ended amplifiers are inherently mostly always class A BY DESIGN. push-pull amps on the other hand can be biased anywhere between a few milliamps, right up to their maximum current draw,as long as the power supplies are up to the job. most push-pull amps are class AB, or AB1 biased, this is usually a good compromise as it will give you a certain amount of class A power, but will also be kinder [in some respects] to the valves and power supplies. the optimum bias point of a class AB, AB1 amplifier will therefore be down to the user, and as you have found your amp in your system seems to sound its best when its biased to the maximum allowable according to the manufacturers information.
    however, that may not be the case for someone else using the same amp in a different system.
    this is a rather simplified explanation of BIAS, because there are other variables to take into account, but an explanation of these would probably confuse the situation in this instance.
    hope this helps.
    regards,anthony,TD...
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 06-10-2008 at 11:31.

I'm Andy.

Hi Anthony
    Cheers for the reply and yes it has helped explain a few things, the amp is an AB Push-Pull design. Quite happy with the change in presentation, will be in contact at some point with regard advice on valves, lots on my plate at the moment with regard to job change, see my post 'My Brain Just Will Not Work, Head Up Arse Week ' in Abstract Chat.

Cheers,

Andy - SDDW

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi andy,
    already read it, so i understand you must be quite stressed at the moment.
    by all means, when your ready, and good luck with your new venture.
    regards,anthony,TD...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Andy, I said that you'd get good advice

I've also heard fairly big changes when biasing valves. When I had the Yaqin, with its manual bias adjustment, I could clearly hear the difference between the Svetlana KT88s biased at .58 millivolts, which was spot on, and higher or lower from that point.

'Over biasing' valves tends to have the effect of softening the sound and makes for a 'heavier', more ponderous, presentation. 'Under biasing' valves tends to have the opposite effect, and gives a brighter more 'brittle' sound, with an 'edge' to high frequencies. Get it spot on, though, and the music gels perfectly with no emphasis on any part of the frequency range.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Hi Marco
    Cheers for your reply. I think I seem to have hit the sweet spot for the bias value first time, though I might give it some small adjustments over the weekend to see what happens but the 160mV seems to be about right. Will let you know the results.
    Wil be updating my 'My Brain Just Will Not Work, Head Up Arse Week ' in Abstract Chat shortly

Andy - SDDW

+ Reply to Thread