+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongest placebo ever

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alex.

Default Strongest placebo ever

I've recently decided to be open-minded (for a change, so I'm now into cheap-ass tweaks. A friend managed to talk me into this story how, due to certain piezo-electrical properties, some crystals can affect low voltage circuitry, blah blah blah. To cut the long story short, I took some of the crystals that my wife has lying around in her studio (rose quartz and amethyst, mostly), and installed them on the AC power cables and interconnects, etc.

Listening impressions: weird. It's not that I could hear any new, previously unheard details, it's just that the well known details in well known songs appear to contain more depth. Not depth in the sense of deeper soundstage, but depth in the sense of deeper sound, sound with more sparkle and presence. In general, more enjoyable sound quality.

I'm sure it's nothing but a very strong placebo verging on self-hypnosis, but I'm still curious if anyone else had ever experienced something similar. Also, I must insist here that I'm not all that prone to placebos, as I've demonstrated, on more than one occasion, that glitzy, ultra-expensive hi fi gear can leave me totally cold. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not easily falling for good looks when it comes to hi fi gear... That is, until now.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I'm sure it's nothing but a very strong placebo verging on self-hypnosis .....
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.
    A sophisticated person is someone who can entertain a thought without necessarily accepting it.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

A sophisticated person is someone who can entertain a thought without necessarily accepting it.
    Woof, woof !
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Double think;

"The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them...."

George Orwell

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Erik.

Hi Alex,

Since you seem to mention pretty much the same equipment as I have in your signature .......I can only agree.

I share your experience indeed it does the same things for me so for us it is not a matter of discussion anymore...IT DOES EFFECT...your music.

However it is like cooking, I find that your system can benefit hugely from wood-stones-cotton-silk and all the other "snake-oil" to non-believers aga non-listeners......but it IS like cooking meaning you can also degrade your wishfull effects by overdoing it...

The best thing for me is implementing it for a couple of weeks and changing back again to do a proper comparative listening...

My personal experience that every now and then I do not like to implement a "sudden effect" long term after all...

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
    Hi Alex,

Since you seem to mention pretty much the same equipment as I have in your signature .......I can only agree.

I share your experience indeed it does the same things for me so for us it is not a matter of discussion anymore...IT DOES EFFECT...your music.

However it is like cooking, I find that your system can benefit hugely from wood-stones-cotton-silk and all the other "snake-oil" to non-believers aga non-listeners......but it IS like cooking meaning you can also degrade your wishfull effects by overdoing it...

The best thing for me is implementing it for a couple of weeks and changing back again to do a proper comparative listening...

My personal experience that every now and then I do not like to implement a "sudden effect" long term after all...
    Finally, I meet a colleague who also has the best possible system. Great minds think like they don't think.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGig View Post
    Double think;

"The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them...."

George Orwell

That's hard-core lunatic asylum talk. I explicitly forbid it here!

Alex.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

I took some of the crystals that my wife has lying around in her studio (rose quartz and amethyst, mostly), and installed them on the AC power cables and interconnects, etc.
    Simon.

I'm Dave.

AS above. I can't wait...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast