+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AVI Neutron Five 2.1 PC based setup

I'm Steve.

Default AVI Neutron Five 2.1 PC based setup

This is my AVI Neutron Five 2.1 system which I've had for about a month now and I absolutely love it. It's an 'all in one' system that includes a DAC, 3 x 100watt amplifiers, Neutron V passive speakers and a high quality 10" sub. I bought it direct from AVI for just £900 and for that price the quality is just astounding. I've heard quite a few seperates systems in hifi shops and this beats anything for under a grand by a mile and it even sounds better than most systems that cost £2000 or more!

They sound very natural and uncoloured like studio monitors - but just because they don't add any of their own 'character' to the sound doesn't mean that they're boring because they aren't. They're very dynamic and detailed and will pefectly convey any emotion that's been recorded in a song, they just won't add any extra emotion of their own.

I use them for near-field use at my computer and they have a great stereo image although this does improve slightly when setup for mid-field listening. The way the sub intergrates so smoothly is amazing too. It never sounds directional, it just extends the lower frequencies of the stereo speakers and adds weight but without any of the 'boom' that you normally get with subs. It just sounds tight and tuneful with music unlike most other subs which have clearly been designed to be loud and boomy with movies.

Looks wise they're pretty basic but are very smart and well finnished. The build quality is exellent and I like the shiny piano black finnish which looks good and expensive.

Overall, it's an absolutely amazing system which I'm very happy with. I no longer have that itch to upgrade and I expect I'll be enjoying this system for many years to come.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Steve, nice post & an interesting looking little sub Would you mind popping into the welcome area & saying hello please, a bit about your musical tastes would be good to If this isn't your main setup then what is?

Thanks in advance Steve
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Steve.

Hi Reid,

I'll update the post in the Welcome area ASAP. This is my only hifi setup BTW.

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/s...981#post259981

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Yeah, i know Steve, cheers for doing it! You'll soon see that

It's all a question of timing
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think a sub with N5's is ESSENTIAL, together with a powerful driving amp. I found that mine projected the mid a touch more than I could take.. As you know from elsewhere , the Pro-Nines in my office system were more tweakable to suit my tastes and hearing
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Hi Steve, nice post & an interesting looking little sub
    The subwoofer acts like a kind of head unit for the whole system. It's remote controlled and contains the DAC and the three 100watt amps.

Here's some more details: http://www.avihifi.co.uk/neutron.html
    Last edited by steve_1979; 22-10-2011 at 00:39.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I think a sub with N5's is ESSENTIAL, together with a powerful driving amp. I found that mine projected the mid a touch more than I could take.. As you know from elsewhere , the Pro-Nines in my office system were more tweakable to suit my tastes and hearing
    Hiya DJSR

I think that the Neutron speakers have pretty good bass for their size but the sub does make for a good improvement to the overall sound. I'd never want to use any bookshelf speakers without a sub though.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_1979 View Post
    Hiya DJSR

I think that the Neutron speakers have pretty good bass for their size but the sub does make for a good improvement to the overall sound. I'd never want to use any bookshelf speakers without a sub though.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Anthony.

Cool - a 'lefty'

Welcome to AoS - May I ask what the remote esque jobbie is on the lower right of the desk? Is it the AVI master controller?

Ps, I had one of those chairs ala argos, I did something like this on it: and surprisingly - it broke

Ant

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Cool - a 'lefty'

Welcome to AoS - May I ask what the remote esque jobbie is on the lower right of the desk? Is it the AVI master controller?
    Hi ant

The made me

The 'remote esque jobbie' is a USB number keypad which I use for playing games with. Because I'm a lefty I find it a bit uncomfortable using the main keyboard for controlling movement when playing first person shooter games so I reassign the keys and use the little number pad instead. I also have an Xbox controller but I only use that for driving games.

This is the Labtec number pad I use

This is the AVI remote control for the speaker system

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast