+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Sci-Fi Movies of all time..

I'm Alex.

Another vote for Dark Star as possibly the best b-movie ever.

Wasn't it John Carpenter's first outing? I seem to remember that it was made for $60k, but despite the Alien pet that was spray-painted inflatable beach ball with claws, it was hugely entertaining and a cult classic. Script was very funny.

I also remember Carpenter's 'The Thing' as being a very enjoyable Sci-Fi/Horror romp..

Blade Runner Director's Edition is also right up there IMHO.

Dune was a surprisingly good interpretation, provided that you had read the book beforehand - you would be completely lost otherwise!.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Dave.

Alien and Aliens are two of the most influental movies of all times. Done already in the 70s and 80s and they still keep the standard of today's movies. But with the whole ambience, music, story and sci fi art makes them one of the best movies of all times. Looking forward for Ridley Scott new movie which is currently in the post production and will be released next year... Prometheus.

MartinT Guest

Ridley Scott can do no wrong.

Alien and Blade Runner - if he had made nothing else, he would be a legend. But then he made Gladiator among others. Amazing.

synsei Guest

Dark City is a mean and moody sci-fi thriller but for some reason it didn't do that well at the box office. Directed by Alex Proyas and starring Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland and Jennifer Connelly, it is a very classy movie...

Forbidden Planet

Alien

Planet of thee Apes (original film)

Star Wars (original 1977 version, although its not technically, science fiction imho)

Day the earth stood still (original version)

War of thee Worlds (original version)

top 5 overated :

bladerunner
    aliens, alien 3, alien resurrection, and any film with over done CGI
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Dark City is a mean and moody sci-fi thriller but for some reason it didn't do that well at the box office. Directed by Alex Proyas and starring Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland and Jennifer Connelly, it is a very classy movie...
    Agreed, it's a good looking film. Jennifer Connelly seems to do well in these moody pieces - did you see her in Dark Water or Requiem for a Dream?

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post

I enjoyed this as well. First time I'd seen Rufus Sewell in anything.
    Bernie.

I'm Steve.

I'm going to throw in Close Encounters of the Third Kind as one which is still a great watch.

Oh and under-rated choice - Silent Running from 1972
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Simon.

Big moog is the first to talk sense.

Forbidden planet
    It came from outer space.
    When worlds collide
    The day the earth stood still
    Spaceballs. ;-)

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Agreed, it's a good looking film. Jennifer Connelly seems to do well in these moody pieces - did you see her in Dark Water or Requiem for a Dream?
    No I didn't Martin, but I will...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast