+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bantam Monoblocks

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockwell View Post
    My Bantam Gold (Power amp version) is at the post office ...

John has answered that he considers my CB supply to be perfectly OK to power both monoblocks, so I will try it next weekend (I'm working abroad this week).
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good to know Steve.

Peter, let us know what you think.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    John has answered that he considers my CB supply to be perfectly OK to power both monoblocks, so I will try it next weekend (I'm working abroad this week).
    There's only one output, so you connect in parallel ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockwell View Post
    There's only one output, so you connect in parallel ?

Should I not? I showed John the spec but he may not have noticed that aspect.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    Should I not? I showed John the spec but he may not have noticed that aspect.
    I would have thought there was a slight danger to the PSU, if I can remember high skool physics well enough, parallelling the load will double the current draw.

If we assume that the maximum draw on the Monoblocks 1.5amps (the Gold is 1.25amps), then connecting two makes it 3amps. Which would be tough, I think, for the 3amp version. Should be ok for a 5amp version.

Somebody who's an EE will be along soon to put me right, if necessary.

Or buy two and be on the safe side ?
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As I said earlier, you need to look at the specs on the Maplin site, and see what each supply will give under continuous load. Also, yes, if there is only one output, it would be better to buy two, or at least one that can supply the required amperage continuously.

I'm Peter.

I've had the Bantam Gold Power amp version in my system for a few days, but I've only been able to listen to music for a couple of hours in that time. The BG replaces an Avondale S100, considered by many to be superior to a NAP250 and rivalling a NAP300. The S100 has a more even handed touch than a NAP200, in any case, and opens a wider window to the music. Mine cost me about £1400. The BG costs £180.

The BG is not so open into the soundstage as the S100, I feel like there's some haze, I'm wondering if that is the SMPS that I'm hearing. On the other hand, the very moment I fired it up to listen to music I was struck by its direct way of communicating, and how, for instance, with vocals, it makes John Martyn understandable (ok, maybe no amp can do that ). In fact I was in awe and laughing, because the amp is so tiny (125 x 130 x 40 mm, more or less).

Listened last night to Tom Jobim sings Vinicius (famous brazilian singer/composer singing the songs of another famous brazilian singer/composer), couldn't be sure if I had the same clarity as the S100.

Temple Audio, maker of the Bantam Gold, say that 3 days of 24 hours running, music or not, is required to make the BG come on song. It is a fine wee amp, I'm looking forward to trying it with a linear supply (I have one on order). It probably will not play at head banging levels, but I don't need that in my 24 sq metre appartment in a block of flats.

It's close enough to the S100 to make me consider selling the S100, although I haven't decided one way or another yet.

Today, if I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't bother paying more than the BG (ok, the Monoblocks are tempting).

More to come.