+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "old" DAC wanted - any suggestions?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    I used to have a DPA Little Bit which was a nice little dac, all the DPA dacs are still worth a shot and Chevron Audio can still service/repair and upgrade them.
    You caught me thinking about having a serious clear-out of some nice vintage gear - I can offer a perfectly working DPA Little Bit 3 DAC complete with DPA's own digital coax for £120. Owned by me from brand new.

I'm still thinking about it, but seeing as this thread was started I will see if anyone is interested (I have another two nice vintage DACs too).

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Quad 67 player always was a very good design and a significant improvement over the earlier 66 model. I doubt if much improvement would be made in using an external DAC, since as has been noted, the internal DAC chipset used in the 67 is already very good.

The simplification of the output circuitry as described by Yomanze is very sensible advice - and it would appear, has been proven in practice by one happy user.

Any component that appears in the audio signal path needs to be of the highest quality, so choose carefully. If it were doing it, I would experiment with Vishay Z-film types, or other high quality metal film resistors. Avoid carbon and carbon-film types.
    The Quad 67 DAC has a great, built in MOSFET output stage (with dedicated analogue + and - power pins on the chip!) which is why the player and CS4328 DAC responds so well to the "datasheet" mod and cutting out an unnecessary buffer stage in the Quad 67.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Default "old" DAC wanted - any suggestions?

I still need to build my deadbug mini DAC based around the CS4328 and CS8412 digital receiver, a handful of regulators, caps and resistors. Old school cool.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I still need to build my deadbug mini DAC based around the CS4328 and CS8412 digital receiver, a handful of regulators, caps and resistors. Old school cool.
    That's if you can find a CS8412.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    That's if you can find a CS8412.
    I have a bunch of the old DIL "G" series receivers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234