+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High-quality capacitors needed for valve amp PSU

I'm Nobody.

Cerafines wernt like standard Electrolytics they used ceramic particles, i doubt they will break down with age..I pesonally would buy the Mundorf nowadays..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah, I see what you're saying about the Elnas...

Dunno why BHC don't seem to do the right values, though. Farnell has 100s of them (some rated at 500V), but none of the right capacitance

Perhaps if I emailed them, they'd make some up as a special order? ICW (Clarity cap) may also do that....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

I would avoid NOS electrolytics (unless I am selling my small stash of BG WKZ's :-)). Does the value have to be that exact Marco? I think your amp is SS rectifier, so larger valves should do no harm, and could be a benefit. 500v electrolytics are far less common, 450v is the normal voltage limit, but 500v do exist. Though I use lower voltage ones in series for higher voltage use. You could also look at Motor run film caps.
    Nick.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi Nick,
    marco's amp uses a pair of GZ34 rectifiers so the first resevoir cap is limited to 50uf, the caps i used were original plessey 16 +16 and i doubled up the first in line to give 32uf, the voltage rating of 500v is to make sure they are absolutely safe with the surge voltage from standby mode.
    obviously the caps used elsewhere in the circuit could be 450v working.
    Anthony,TD...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Nick.

Ahh, sorry, I stand corrected. So, yes, you have the limit on the first cap after the rectifier,
    Nick.

Cheers, chaps. Anthony, you have email!

After some digging, and much help from Andre (and Nick), the front runners are now custom options from Ansar, such as mentioned here:

http://www.suppression-devices.com/a...apacitors.html

I like the idea of being able to specify solid silver lead-out wires, etc... And judging by the description, they seem like superb quality:

http://www.suppression-devices.com/a...al.html#Choice

Also, there is the option of going for custom ones from ICW in Wrexham. They of course make the superb Clarity Caps. Their PCS range, looks ideal for Copper amp duties:

http://www.icwltd.co.uk/power4/image.htm

Now, I use the MRs in the crossovers for my Tannoys, which are superb, so if the PCS range is as good, then it would be a VERY valid option indeed...

Decisions, decisions!

I'll have a chat with Anthony about this, but what do you think would be the best move, Nick? Bear in mind that I would like the absolute best caps possible (sonically speaking), as this job will be a case of 'do it once and do it right with no compromise', if you see what I mean.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

Any of those would be good. I would chose what fits the case best.
    Nick.

Good point, and very relevant! However, presuming that both types will fit, if it were you doing the job, which ones would you be inclined to go for?

Perhaps based on the spec/descriptions of the caps mentioned on the respective websites and/or the reputation for quality of both companies.... (or anything else you consider important).

At the moment I'm leaning towards ICW, simply because of their level of expertise in the professional industry and amount of resources available for R&D....

Marco.
    Main System

Capacitors are made out of a range of materials for a reason. Manufacturer reputation counts for nothing if the end user uses the wrong type of capacitor material for a critical job.

Also keep in mind the tolerances of the cap. A 32uF would have to have a tolerance of less than 5% before it is guaranteed to be any different to a 33uF cap.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I've heard various flavours of WAD 300b amps, one was full of polypropylene caps in the psu, it sounded very different to the others containing lytics, brighter with lighter bass, the brightness was a little much for me with busy music in the system I heard it in . Of course it all comes down to system and taste. They may also work great in the copper amp , just thought its worth mentioning though

I've known high capacitance lower voltage NOS caps to work ok after being properly formed, not sure about the higher voltage types though, probably best to avoid if unsure.

Never tried these http://www.jj-electronic.com/pdf/TC_TE.pdf
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast