+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Well hallo!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's probably been posted elsewhere, but I would like to know once again why the NVA designs are as they are - perspex (?) casings instead of aluminium, copper or sheet steel (I think I sort-of know the answer to that one, but some friendly explanations wouldn't go amiss please). Also, a bit more on the cube speakers and why the design is the way it is as against more traditional approaches. I'm not baiting, just genuinely interested - gawd, I owned and supported 'Briks years ago
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

My father still has his NVA Phono-2. Very good phono stage!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's probably been posted elsewhere, but I would like to know once again why the NVA designs are as they are - perspex (?) casings instead of aluminium, copper or sheet steel (I think I sort-of know the answer to that one, but some friendly explanations wouldn't go amiss please). Also, a bit more on the cube speakers and why the design is the way it is as against more traditional approaches. I'm not baiting, just genuinely interested - gawd, I owned and supported 'Briks years ago
    Complex questions and my work on both of these aspects goes back to the 1980s.

My simplest answer on the amp case thing would be to link you to an interview I did for a Taiwan Hi-Fi mag in the early 90s. Some things have changed since then but the basics remain. Some aspects of the interview have got the objectivist vocal minority to go into attack mode, especially my view on the use of screws.

http://www.nene-valley-audio.com/ and link to interview.

The speaker ideas come from my days of working for Acoustic Research in the 1970's. There was an unsung hero at AR stateside who left the company after it was bought by Teledyne and just became another bit of corporate america. That was Roy Allison http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/105villchur He had original and effective ideas about interfacing the speaker into the room acoustic as opposed to fighting the acoustic and designing anechoically he designed speaker to be part of the room. He stated his own company to progress his ideas named after him as Allison Acoustics. His big speakers used bass drivers as near to the floor coupling as possible and his ideas in this were continued with Linn in the Isobarik as you have implied. His other idea with smaller speakers was to make the bass / mid in two ways to interface with the back wall by being on top of the speaker as used in the Alison 6. My ideas progressed his idea and I developed this with the Cubes. The original versions in the early 90s were HDF cabinets, on redesign a couple of years ago, on a whim I tried an acrylic cab as my cabinet supplier for my amp cases wanted to have a go at one, it is seriously expensive solution but I was very happy with the results, both visually and sonically.

If you want to break the question down into more specific elements than I will try to explain my views.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Hi Richard - good to see you, hope all well with you.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Richard.

I am tickerty boo old chap - pip pip!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bunsen Honeydew View Post
    I am tickerty boo old chap - pip pip!
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345