Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains cables-myth or fact?

I'm Jerry.

Default Mains cables-myth or fact?

If there is one hifi issue I treat with suspicion its the thorny question of aftermarket power cables but my Croft amp came with a manky old cable that is begging to be put in the bin.
    Now my house is new-ish and the wiring seems ok, no RF issues. Is there any point in replacing it and whats good out there?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Our very own Mark Grant & his DSP 2.5 My whole rack is wired with that & DSP 1.0 for stuff that has a figure of 8 connector such as my BD player & SVHS video.

Great stuff imho
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ILOB.

Can you borrow ine from a friend and try out and see if it works for you
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Can you borrow ine from a friend and try out and see if it works for you
    I suppose I could John but I would like to hear some comments from people who have had a life changing experience from replacing their mains cables!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I suppose I could John but I would like to hear some comments from people who have had a life changing experience from replacing their mains cables!
    never had a life changing experience.. As long as it has a braided sheild/foil /drain wire i'm pretty happy with that..

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I use Chord Company PowerChords and whilst I wouldn't describe the change as 'life changing', it certainly improved my system, especially the amplifier. I think you should be able to buy some from Mark Grant or Mains Cables R Us and if you are not happy, send them back? I'm pretty sure Mark does this, not sure about MCRU, but you can PM them to double check their terms of sale?

I certainly think it's worthwhile and wouldn't use an ordinary cable on an amplifier any-more, but ultimately it's something you really need to investigate yourself.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ILOB.

I use them and like them But mains cable talk is something that divides people so u have to find out for yourself as so many views on this subject
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Alex.

I'm using Nordost Magus for my power amp, the improvements are subtle but worth it. Most noticeably in the area of dynamics, louder passages now really appear much louder.

But if the music you like to listen to is not dynamic, then maybe it's not worth the expense.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'd have thought there were two views John They make no difference or they do

There definately is some basis for upping the conductor area of the cable simply because it'll get you a lower impedance mains supply which can only be a good thing with a power amplifier. As Andr'e mentioned screening & a drain wire to connect to earth just ad icing to the cake imo
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

Is it not possible to buy good quality mains cable/connectors and assemble your own power cables?

MK can't manafacture all the plugs out there? There must be hospital grade manafactures.

I will do some investagating and report back.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast