+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Systemdek

I'm Steve.

Default Systemdek

Since getting rid of my Roksan a couple of years gao, I have been thinking about getting another T/T but I have only a very limited budget. I have seen a very nice Systemdek 11X for a nice price. Any opinions? I would like to get a 1210, but don't have the cash...
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

niklasthedolphin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Since getting rid of my Roksan a couple of years gao, I have been thinking about getting another T/T but I have only a very limited budget. I have seen a very nice Systemdek 11X for a nice price. Any opinions? I would like to get a 1210, but don't have the cash...
    Go for the Systemdek IIX.

It's by far better than the 1210 if you have the patience and take the time and get the expert skills to set it up properly.

"dolph"

I'm Steve.

Default Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by niklasthedolphin View Post

It's by far better than the 1210 if you have the patience and take the time and get the expert skills to set it up properly.

"dolph"
    I am not sure at the moment if I can afford it this month, but hopefully I will be able to! setting it up should not be a problem.

thanks for the reply.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by niklasthedolphin View Post

"dolph"
    No disrespect, Dolph, but from experience of using both I would strongly disagree with that statement, although the Systemdek is a nice deck in its own way.

Steve, I suggest that you read some of the threads on the 1210 in the 'Strokes of Genius' section, particularly 'Tim's SL-1210 adventure' (shown below). There should be some interesting info in there for you. Dolph, you might also wish to read it

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1030

Apart from anything else, I would contend that if a standard unmodified 1210 is as good as or better than a pretty well-specified LP12, it's better than a Systemdek

Oh, and you can pick up second-hand 1210s for not a lot of money, sometimes less than £100. Just watch that you have some idea of its history, though.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

niklasthedolphin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I am not sure at the moment if I can afford it this month, but hopefully I will be able to! setting it up should not be a problem.

thanks for the reply.
    Don't forget that the Systemdek needs a brick wall mounted shelf to stand on.
    The Systemdek's are going very well with Rega RB arms from 300 and up.
    It should be set up with extremely soft suspended subchassis to pull out the last deep notes in the groove and to get the amazing soundstage it can reproduce.

If you can find a Systemdek IV, that will be the best they ever made.
    Don't go for the Systemdek made without a plinth.

Give it a good cartridge like Shelter 901, Lyra Dorian, Benz L2 or Goldring Elite.

Run it through seperate RIAA like Whest, Mantra or similar super HQ unit.

This will make it a rig compatible with any £ 10.000,- new-on-the-market rig you can find anywhere.

Good Luck.

Oh.........
    And Marco:
    Did you ever have a correctly set-up Systemdek from IIX and up to compare?
    I had the 1210 and I'm not in doubt.
    Stay happy.

"dolph"
    Last edited by niklasthedolphin; 02-10-2008 at 10:21.

Dolph, I "correctly set-up" every turntable I own!

And yes I'm 'au fait' with both T/Ts. I'll reverse the question and ask you - have you ever heard a 1210 "correctly set-up"?

And by that I mean removing and upgrading the cheap bits which hold back its performance?

Plus, you've just listed about £2k+ of cartidges and phono stages to go with the Systemdek in order to transform it into "a rig compatible with any £ 10.000,- new-on-the-market rig you can find anywhere" when Steve has stated that he doesn't have the cash for a 1210... LOL!

There's fundamentally one thing that lets the Systemdek down - the fact that it's driven by an 'elastic band'

Direct-drive, done properly as with the SL-1210, is quite simply more accurate and displays less 'sonic signature', which is what hi-fi is about. Other than that, the Systemdek is a very good turntable, and better than most other belt-drive T/Ts being made today at or near its price point.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Default OK

Guys, guys....

I have never heard a Systemdek, just one came up at a good price, but I have heard good things about them.

Marco, I am fully aware of the potential from a 1210 - a freind has recently sold his having put it up against a NAS. I may have a think about the idea.

No worries, Steve. I'm just giving infomation which should help you make a decision

I have a lot of experience in this area.

Marco, I am fully aware of the potential from a 1210 - a freind has recently sold his having put it up against a NAS. I may have a think about the idea.
    Did you mean it the other way round?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No worries, Steve. I'm just giving infomation which should help you make a decision

Marco.
    Well I have not heard the two together, and only heard the NAS on occasion, and it does sound very good. I can't remember if he tried a Rega arm on it - I know he had one - though he knows what he likes. I think I will look into a 1210.

niklasthedolphin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    I wonder.....................

How can you be so categorical about putting a review on some TT's and drive your own with a cartridge belonging in a bin?

Do you have all that experience?
    Did you have TT since the mid sixties, like me, without ever giving the format a pause?
    DD better than belt driven................and the way you nickname it "elastic band"........................tsk.................. ....that leaves me in no dout about lack of listening experience.

1210 is an entry level TT for me and will always be like that.
    You can modify it until you can't recognize it....................you can even convert it to a proper belt drive and I would gues it still doesn't deserve any better cartridge than the poor man's choise of the tremendously unnuanced and screamingly distorted Denon cartridges.

The £ 2k of surrounding equipment I mentioned would serve the Systemdek well. It would be a complete waste of money with the 1210.

And give any £ 10.000 rig the same or better conditions and the Systemdek set up with the surroundings I mentioned would be strongly competitive ..............if not the overall winner.

My simple advise to the guy with the OP is to go for the Systemdek and avoid the 1210.

"dolph"
    Last edited by niklasthedolphin; 02-10-2008 at 20:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast