+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Decibel" for Mac

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Talking "Decibel" for Mac

Hi,

It's been a long time since I posted here last, but recently I've been testing Decibel for music playback, and I wondered if anyone had had any experience with it. Either way, here's the link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37573/decibel

I suppose the two highlight features are its ability to play all music entirely from RAM, and its ability to grant itself unique access to your chosen output - ie. nothing else can send a signal through that output if Decibel is launched.

I've been listening to it through my signature set-up and I'm enjoying it a lot, more than I would through iTunes I think.

So, any opinions?
    Simon.

I'm Nick.

Sounds like it's got some interesting features. I'll check it out.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Ross.

Also check out Fidelia (app store). Audio wise, a lot of people have found it come up trumps.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm invisible.

Why is it that I cant tell the difference with Mac apps but on a PC they seem obvious.....wierd!
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm andrew.

I tried the 15 day demo of Fidelia and found it to be very good, nice interface and easy to use.
    Andy.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Somebody with claims to a high-quality system posted a review on MacUpdate under the name of Ozron, claiming that, having tried many of the alternatives including Fidelia, Decibel was the one that produced the best output. I actually wondered if it was by someone from here. Here's the link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37573/decibel

Scroll down and their post is from 10th April. He even claims to have tried Amarra, which I think is $295 (down from $995).

By the way, try not to get too incensed by the attitude of Echorob while you're on that page
    Simon.

I'm Greg.

FWIW, For anyone intererested in Music Player software alternatives to itunes, I'm quite taken with 'Audirvana', a free music player for Mac OS10.6 . Its still at beta stage with frequent updates, but using my MacMini with 8gbs ram, I just drag anything i want from my itunes library into the Audirvana playlist and turn off itunes. Even with my well worn hearing i can detect an improvement over itunes. It has Hog facility and you can dedicate as much ram as you like to the player,(the more the better).
    It also gives a range of preferences, upscaling, integer mode and other options. The interface is basic (suits me fine);if you have existing playlists in itunes its quick and simple to drag and drop, wait for it to copy and off you go. There is a useful thread over at Computer Audiophile or google it. Its a work in progress but after 3 months of using it I'm a believer and sent the fella a donation for his efforts.
    Greg.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    Why is it that I cant tell the difference with Mac apps but on a PC they seem obvious.....wierd!
    I find that this depends on the age of your Mac. If you have a model which features an Intel Core2Duo and an NVidia chipset, everything sounds pretty much of a muchness via MacOS - There's also a USB bug that means any USB DAC sounds a bit poor because every 16384'th sample is zero.

A nice shiny new Mac with an i3/i5/i7 processor will blow the old ones out of the water as they seem to have ironed out the issues. I've recently tried a swanky new top of the range MacBook Pro and it sounds STUNNING running Audirvana in Integer mode.
    Rich

I'm Abe.

I've already stowed the rest, including Decibel ..

Audirvana - is my current fave and the only player for my Macbook Pro at this mo. Until I stumble upon something better (which I do hope I will) Audirvana is here to stay..
    -abe-

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    I find that this depends on the age of your Mac. If you have a model which features an Intel Core2Duo and an NVidia chipset, everything sounds pretty much of a muchness via MacOS - There's also a USB bug that means any USB DAC sounds a bit poor because every 16384'th sample is zero.
    oooer ... rich, can you elaborate on this - I've googled to no avail.

I've an imac with a core2duo and (I think) an nvidia chipset (the 'serial ATA is shown as such) ... and am using an usb soundcard...

could you post a link explaining the issue in more detail?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast