+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Decibel" for Mac

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi,

Response from the Dev of Audirvana re: Integer Mode:
    It depends on the device driver, and the device capabilities.
    He then links to a list of currently-maintained integer mode-capable devices here.
    A short list full of quite esoteric items.
    Simon.

I'm Jerome.

I have a 2007 mac that has the "pop" issue described above, both using Decibel in hog mode and Pure Music in integer mode. I am using a Wavelength Brick v3 DAC. I am running the DAC into a modified Fisher X-100 tube amp and Roger JR 149 speakers.

Apparently, according to Stephen Booth, the developer of Decibel, it's an Apple related issue that should be fixed in the upcoming OS 10.7 ("Lion"). Let's hope that's the case. Using a USB hub fixes the issue for me (I am able to use hog mode without pops in Decibel though a USB hub) but could possibly degrade the sound, although I can't be sure whether that's the case or not.

I find that Decibel using memory play, adjusting sample rate for best quality and hog mode ("exclusive access") through the USB hub sounds better than Decibel not using hog mode with the DAC directly plugged into the computer, i.e hog mode sounds quite a bit better to my ears, even through the added USB hub.

After trying Pure Music 1.74 and 1.8, Audirvana and iTunes, Decibel sounds the best to my ears, even through the USB hub: it's the most involving, the most coherent, the one that draws me in more and comes a step closer to live music. It is perhaps a hair bright, depending on the material played. In my opinion, iTunes is the worst of the bunch by quite a bit but it could be related to my computer if I understand the above posts.

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Is it this Desibel you're talking about

http://ratkje.no/current-projects/de...e-horn-system/
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by jeromesabbagh View Post
    I have a 2007 mac that has the "pop" issue described above, both using Decibel in hog mode and Pure Music in integer mode. I am using a Wavelength Brick v3 DAC. I am running the DAC into a modified Fisher X-100 tube amp and Roger JR 149 speakers.

Apparently, according to Stephen Booth, the developer of Decibel, it's an Apple related issue that should be fixed in the upcoming OS 10.7 ("Lion"). Let's hope that's the case. Using a USB hub fixes the issue for me (I am able to use hog mode without pops in Decibel though a USB hub) but could possibly degrade the sound, although I can't be sure whether that's the case or not.

well, b*gger me, after the latest mac os update, I've now got random digital 'pops' both with a usb sound/card and the built-in one, using a core2duo imac ...

I'm not actually using 'decibel' but the pops are consistently there regardless of programme being used (reaper, vinyl studio, quicktime player etc).

the usb was worse, as the pops were being recorded when ripping vinyl

line-in rca s to mini-jack cable seems to be avoiding that, although I still get the pops, as mentioned, when playing back.

resulting files play back as clean as a whistle on a windows 7 laptop.

good old apple.
    Last edited by Slippershod; 05-07-2011 at 18:28. Reason: clarity, I hope

I'm Ross.

Did you update to 10.6.8?
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Marc.

yes, that's the one - at least that's what 'about this mac' is telling me.

I'm quite certain the problem started with this update.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234