+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beresford: TC-7520SEG vs TC-7510

I'm Barney.

Default Beresford: TC-7520SEG vs TC-7510

I have had a Beredsford 7510 the last 2 years and thought it was time to make an upgrade to the lastest Caiman with the Gator board since everyone only have had nice words to say about it.
    So I ordered the new model TC-7520SEG and thought it would sound better than the old one .... but I unfortunately I got very disappointed. After 8 days of burn-in the sound is still better on the old one.
    The midrange sounds quite equal on the models but bass is deeper and treble is more "detailed" on the old one....like a more 3D-sound and detailed.

At the moment I have both dacs connected to my SB Touch so it is very easy to make a switch over between the dacs to make a comparison.
    I have ofcourse tried to switch the cables and coax/optical inputs....but still the good old 7510 beats the 7520SEG.

I really hope burn-in will get it to sound better but I doubt.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi "Bras",

Welcome to AoS

First of all, we need your REAL first name included somewhere on your profile, unless of course your parents named you "tweaker"

Secondly, all new members are required to pop into the Welcome area and introduce themselves to our community, by telling what their system is and what music they like.

Therefore, could you please attend to this on your next visit?

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bras View Post
    I have had a Beredsford 7510 the last 2 years and thought it was time to make an upgrade to the lastest Caiman with the Gator board since everyone only have had nice words to say about it.
    So I ordered the new model TC-7520SEG and thought it would sound better than the old one .... but I unfortunately I got very disappointed. After 8 days of burn-in the sound is still better on the old one.
    The midrange sounds quite equal on the models but bass is deeper and treble is more "detailed" on the old one....like a more 3D-sound and detailed.

At the moment I have both dacs connected to my SB Touch so it is very easy to make a switch over between the dacs to make a comparison.
    I have ofcourse tried to switch the cables and coax/optical inputs....but still the good old 7510 beats the 7520SEG.

I really hope burn-in will get it to sound better but I doubt.
    I'm in no position to compare and contrast, as I only have a TC-7510 Mk6/4, one of Stan's old stock picked up as a bargain.

However as a TC-7510 owner your comments do give me a nice warm feeling, either that or I've forgotten to go to the toilet again
    Cheers, Will

I'm Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I'm in no position to compare and contrast, as I only have a TC-7510 Mk6/4, one of Stan's old stock picked up as a bargain.

However as a TC-7510 owner your comments do give me a nice warm feeling, either that or I've forgotten to go to the toilet again

Hahaha!

Bras: It may be that you're used to, and prefer the sound of your older unit. There is no objective better with regards to sound. It's entirely subjective and personal, just as the love/hate with marmite :¬)

I'm sure Stan would be happy to offer a refund if you're unhappy, the service he offers is second to none.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Barney.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoga View Post

Hahaha!

Bras: It may be that you're used to, and prefer the sound of your older unit. There is no objective better with regards to sound. It's entirely subjective and personal, just as the love/hate with marmite :¬)

I'm sure Stan would be happy to offer a refund if you're unhappy, the service he offers is second to none.
    Yoga, I fully understand what you are saying and I am a patient guy so I still wait for it to "open up " - or to get used to it.
    Anyhow, so far 5 of my friends have been listening to it and they all preferred the sound of the 7510. Their comments are "missing dynamic"
    Before I bought the TC-7520SEG I also tried the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC ... but I shipped it back after a week and thought if I just got a new Beredsford then it would at least "to my ears" sound as good as the old one.

I'm Ross.

Yoga, I fully understand what you are saying and I am a patient guy so I still wait for it to "open up " - or to get used to it.
    Anyhow, so far 5 of my friends have been listening to it and they all preferred the sound of the 7510. Their comments are "missing dynamic"
    Before I bought the TC-7520SEG I also tried the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC ... but I shipped it back after a week and thought if I just got a new Beredsford then it would at least "to my ears" sound as good as the old one.
    8 days of burn in is nearly 200 hours, I'm pretty sure the sound you have now will be indicative of the 'final' sound.

However, email Stan and make him aware of the situation and your thoughts. He'll be able to give you a much better idea of expected performance/burn in ratios.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Bill.

[QUOTE=Bras;216525]I have had a Beredsford 7510 the last 2 years and thought it was time to make an upgrade to the lastest Caiman with the Gator board since everyone only have had nice words to say about it.

QUOTE]

Were you running it 24/7 for thos 8 days? The truth is the Caiman needs a lot of burn-in time. In my case, I can still continue hear subtle improvements
    even though mine has gone well past the oft quoted 200 hour mark.
    Bill P

I'm Werner.

bass is deeper and treble is more "detailed"
    I don’t know the TC-7510, but the quoted words describe pretty good my first impressions as I switched from a TC-7520 to a Caiman with Gator audio PCB. Compared to a standard TC-7520 a gatorized Caiman offers much more bass, power, punch, channel separation, detail resolution and dynamics. Even after upgrading my TC-7520 DACs with Gator audio PCBs and Gator PSUs I definitely prefer the Caiman.

I doubt that such superstitious voodoo as burn-in for electronic equipment exists, but even when used directly out of the box at least for my ears the Caiman does sound much better. For me there’s no way to return to earlier models of Stan’s DAC once you’ve heard a Caiman.

As already other forum members suggested: Get in touch with Stanley.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Andy.

What an interesting thread! In my opinion there are subtle but definate differences between my 7520 with op amps and my 7520 with passive mod. I think I would say the op amps give a more normal low end hifi sound the type you would get straight from most cd players under £300. But with the passive or gator mod it takes on a whole new level of instrument separation and detail. This could be a sound that the OP doesn't actually favour?? In which case he peters the old model??

I would love to hear a Caiman gator against my passive 7520.

Butuz

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

I'm Barney.

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    What an interesting thread! In my opinion there are subtle but definate differences between my 7520 with op amps and my 7520 with passive mod. I think I would say the op amps give a more normal low end hifi sound the type you would get straight from most cd players under £300. But with the passive or gator mod it takes on a whole new level of instrument separation and detail. This could be a sound that the OP doesn't actually favour?? In which case he peters the old model??

I would love to hear a Caiman gator against my passive 7520.

Butuz

Butuz
    Please note that the comparison I made was between the old 7510 and the gatorized Caimain so I actually have no idea how the 7520 without gatorboard sounds

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast