+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 pair of home speakers @ 1/4 ton per side

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Below the frequency where radiation from the driver becomes omnidirectional baffle size will have zero effect (except on diffraction of higher frequencies). If i remember right this is the wavelength equivalent of the cone circumference.

Therefore bass from driver 'X' in a slim baffle will be exactly the same from one in a wider baffle, Martin is correct. At low frequencies it's the amount of air you can shift that counts

Go & purchase High Performance Loudspeakers by Martin Colloms & have a good read. I have the latest sixth edition which i recommend for debunking a good load of cobblers
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    hi all,
    linear array speakers using reletively small drivers [when done correctly] can be very impresive, the best are ultra fast due to the cones size used being very light, bass weight and impact can also be deceivingly good on some designs.
    Also the lack of crossovers is a big plus.
    Anthony,TD...
    Indeed, such as the Anthony Gallo ref 5's for instance http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/pages/...reference5.php

Regards D S D L

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Mark, that may well be the case, but it doesn't support what in some cases I can hear!

"Facts" in audio, often belie what one actually genuinely experiences with ones ears, so there's really no real point debating this issue any further

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    "Facts" in audio, often belie what one actually genuinely experiences with ones ears, so there's really no real point debating this issue any further

Marco.
    Sorry Marco but let me ask you a question Do you see big wide baffles on organ pipes in cathedrals & churches? Nope, it's down to the amount of air they can move.

I'm sorry if i'm going to keep sticking to my guns, but it's nothing to do with baffles except on an OB where the bigger the baffle the lower it can reproduce before the wave cancels front to rear.

You yourself have said numerous times that friendly debate is most welcome, so how you can turn round & say that "there's no point in debating this futher" knd of goes against the grain, doesn't it?

You have your opinion & i have mine, don't try to cut me off just because you don't happen to agree
    Bests, Mark

I'm drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    There are ATC monitors on the market, I forget which ones (in fact, PMC may also do some), which use TWIN 15" DRIVERS side-by-side, and I know that JBL do some like that. Now *those babies* are my type of speakers (if I weren't using the Lockwoods)!

Marco.
    ATC SCM300

JBL 4350

Some people like to use 4 of them.

The PMC double 15s are stacked. But they are transmission lines though.

Or would Sir prefer the Tannoy FSM, availabl in domestic and pro versions?

I would be happy with any of these and would cheerfully throw the telly out the window to make the necessary space.

Sorry Marco but let me ask you a question Do you see big wide baffles on organ pipes in cathedrals & churches? Nope, it's down to the amount of air they can move.

I'm sorry if i'm going to keep sticking to my guns, but it's nothing to do with baffles except on an OB where the bigger the baffle the lower it can reproduce before the wave cancels front to rear.

You yourself have said numerous times that friendly debate is most welcome, so how you can turn round & say that "there's no point in debating this futher" knd of goes against the grain, doesn't it?

You have your opinion & i have mine, don't try to cut me off just because you don't happen to agree.
    Lol - that's what I mean... There's no point in having a debate when it's not likely to get us anywhere, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I know what I can clearly hear, and so I ain't shifting from my opinion on the matter - and neither are you, so there's not much point going round in circles, dude!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Andy,

Some people like to use 4 of them.

Nice collection of 'proper' speakers, particularly the JBLs.... Observe the width vs. depth issue I've been referring to.

That's exactly what I was thinking of!

Marco.
    Main System

Bit of a problem porting it if you want to tune it low though innit Well that is if you want the ports on the front or back baffle
    Bests, Mark

Yup, but that wouldn't bother me, dude. I'd love to hear those JBLs driven by my Copper amp (or any quality Class A valve amp), providing that they're not an awkward load, as I think the results would be frightening...

Marco.
    Main System

I'd like to hear them fullstop! Forgetting the cabinet arrangement
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast