+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Morrissey compares the Queen to Muammar Gaddafi"

I'm Howard.

Default "Morrissey compares the Queen to Muammar Gaddafi"

"Morrissey has used the Queen's state visit to Ireland to launch a new attack on the monarchy, likening her position to that of Muammar Gaddafi. In an article for Irish magazine Hot Press, the singer wrote: "The very existence of the Queen and her now enormous family ... is entirely against any notion of democracy, and is against freedom of speech. For a broad historical view of what the Queen is and how she 'rules', examine Gaddafi or Mubarak, and see if you can spot any difference."

Hmm. And yet he seems such a nice young man!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...uammar-gaddafi
    Well, hello.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck (Stereonow) View Post
    "Morrissey has used the Queen's state visit to Ireland to launch a new attack on the monarchy, likening her position to that of Muammar Gaddafi. In an article for Irish magazine Hot Press, the singer wrote: "The very existence of the Queen and her now enormous family ... is entirely against any notion of democracy, and is against freedom of speech. For a broad historical view of what the Queen is and how she 'rules', examine Gaddafi or Mubarak, and see if you can spot any difference."

Hmm. And yet he seems such a nice young man!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...uammar-gaddafi
    Firstly I'm not a royalist, and I'm not about to comment on the content of Morrissey's ststement.

Why people should think that a person's status within the musical industry, or musical talent for that matter, gives them an insight into social and political matters is quite beyond me.

I usually shy away from interest in the musician as a person, all I want is the music, invariably when you do find out about them, or meet them in some instances, it leads to disappointment. There are exceptions of course, but it's rare to find people with talent in more than field IMHO
    Cheers, Will

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I usually shy away from interest in the musician as a person, all I want is the music, invariably when you do find out about them, or meet them in some instances, it leads to disappointment. There are exceptions of course, but it's rare to find people with talent in more than field IMHO
    Yes it is invariably the case that no matter how brilliant the music the artist as a person turns out to have feet of clay. In this case the music was shite as well so really there is nothing down for him, poor lad.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm ILOB.

He does like to do up his arse from time to time
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    He does like to do up his arse from time to time
    Not quite far enough. What a +*?!
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Mike.

I would go along with Will, I'm no royalist either, you have to wonder why they (famous people) come out with crap like this, most of the time it's a way of keeping in the public eye in my opinion

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Nathan.

I think there are two sides to this: yes, it is infuriating that some people who are famous for singing or acting feel they now have a right to pass comment on some of lifes more complicated issues; on the other hand the media are more and more pusuing "celebrity" opinion as a means of pushing their product.

I am sure if the interview with morrisey was examined, you would find the comment about the queen was a throwaway comment, but one the editor of the guardian chose to focus on.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    I think there are two sides to this: yes, it is infuriating that some people who are famous for singing or acting feel they now have a right to pass comment on some of lifes more complicated issues; on the other hand the media are more and more pusuing "celebrity" opinion as a means of pushing their product.

I am sure if the interview with morrisey was examined, you would find the comment about the queen was a throwaway comment, but one the editor of the guardian chose to focus on.
    Maybe, but he should have realised what he was saying in that case, to be honest i would be surprised if he didn't know exactly what he was saying, he's never been one to shy away from controversial subjects especially the royals, so why would it be different this time

I'm Will.

I don't have a problem with Morrissey having an opinion, and expressing it, it's just that we live in these horrible times of the 'cult of celeb', where their fame in a different area somehow provides them with some greater insight into a completely divorced subject...

...Aparently the smiths are now reforming with Jeremy Paxman as the lead singer (complete with flowers down his kecks), and Morrissey is going on to head up newsnight in return
    Cheers, Will

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I don't have a problem with Morrissey having an opinion, and expressing it, it's just that we live in these horrible times of the 'cult of celeb', where their fame in a different area somehow provides them with some greater insight into a completely divorced subject...

...Aparently the smiths are now reforming with Jeremy Paxman as the lead singer (complete with flowers down his kecks), and Morrissey is going on to head up newsnight in return
    Should be interesting then

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast