+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beechwoods' Den

I'm Nick.

I showed my wife this thread and she thinks your theory is rubbish.

I'm still trying to work out what she meant
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Paul.

Yeah,

My wife isn't convince either, I haven't asked her friends yet.
    ~Paul~

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    Strangely the Nakamichi DAT machine was very poor, probably deserves another look , though.
    Strange given their ability to extract decent sound from compact cassette. Aiwa really sat high in the DAT game, about the only game they sat high in though.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I never got into DAT (same as minidisc or SACD and a few other technologies). Was it any good?

As far as tape goes, I was a diehard Nak CR-7 and Sony Walkman Pro user, which with good quality chrome tape (like it was in those days) such as TDK SA90 (not the cheapo shite SA90s that are still produced now) used to record vinyl from my (then) LP12/Naim set-up, would piss all over any digital bollocks made today.

The CR-7 in particular was stunning, but I suspect that a top-notch reel-to-reel machine would've pissed all over that, if set-up properly.

Incidentally, regarding NOS tape, I've just bought a load on here for my Nakamichi (now DR-10):

http://stores.ebay.com/RealDeals-Steals

Got some cracking sealed 1987 TDA SA90s, Maxells, Scotch and BASF.

I listen to tapes in the car on a decent Blaupunkt tape deck recorded from my system both on vinyl and CD, not cheap plastic CD players or some such bollocks

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I never got into DAT. Was it any good?
    DAT was, and still is, mind blowingly good. In fact it was the studio standard for recording in its day and is still the preferred choice for location recording. It's a clinically accurate and faithful recording medium and so is ideal for 'original recording' purposes. However the machines were complex and prone to breakdown and tape of course degrades over time, but that aside DAT is very very good indeed.

Have a read: DAT on Wikipedia

Atacama SE24 stands

Will do, mate

I'm all for new technology, but *ONLY* when it's unquestionably superior, sonically, to what went before. This has of course got nothing to do with DAT.

Some people (not you) I feel are just technology freaks and simply must have the latest 'gizmos' regardless if they're actually any good or not at their job. I will never inhabit that planet as far as hi-fi is concerned.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

DAT was never really a consumer technology. It seemed to take off amongst live tapers and Deadheads in the states, and they are what keeps the format going. There is still the occasional post to the DAT-Heads list, though these days its more people offering their collections up. There were very few pre-rec DAT tapes. The industry were sh-t scared that people could copy material without gen-loss, even with copy protection that denied even legit copyright owners the rights to copy their own material digitally more than once.

The form factor was great. Lovely little well manufactured cartridges.

I love the concept of having a VCR transport in my pocket (when I'm out with my D7 ).

The CR-7 Nak deck was brilliant. Manual playback azimuth controls on the front. Absolute genius. My ZX-7 has record azimuth controls so you can tune the azimuth to the tape, but the p/b azimuth control is the proverbial keys to the kingdom.

My bro had a Pro-Walkman. He used it for years to record his own band rehearsals and performances. They were fantastic quality machines, lovely recordings esp. with Dolby C and Type IV tape.

I still have some sealed and unused Maxell XLII-S 90's tucked away. I don't have cause to do any tape copies these days though. Nice tip for source of NOS tape though.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    ...The industry were sh-t scared that people could copy material without gen-loss, even with copy protection that denied even legit copyright owners the rights to copy their own material digitally more than once...
    Oh yes, I'd forgotten all about SCMS, it was a piece of piss to bypass if I remember correctly. You'd have to do one analogue to digital recording and it was gone, DAT was so good there was (virtually) no degradation through the AD converter - the rest from then on was digital to digital.

SCMS is serial copy management system.

Atacama SE24 stands

Here's another good source, Beechy. Just picked up these rather nice BASF:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

My bro had a Pro-Walkman. He used it for years to record his own band rehearsals and performances. They were fantastic quality machines, lovely recordings esp. with Dolby C and Type IV tape.
    Indeed. And sonically miles better than any iPod abomination!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Pioneer did a semi-pro DAT machine with a 24bit/96khz ADC/DAC if I remember correctly, I believe it was one of their "Elite" range of rather tasty digital product. I'll dig something out on it when I can.

**EDIT**

Found it, it's the D9601, very yummy. Not so great in black but fantastic in that brushed champagne that the Japanese companies are so good at.

Pioneer D9601 on The Vintage Knob

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread