+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion Ditton 44

I'm Martin.

Default Celestion Ditton 44

Dropped on big time today with some absolutely bea-ay-uytiful Ditton 44. One owner from new. Except for a slight blemish in the botom corner of the back of one cab and a little fade in the venier on the top of the other they are minter than mint. Drivers look like they were installed yesterday.

Got 'em back tonight took one snap and the camera died. Will do some more tomorrow as the teak cabs are stunning. I went to collect them walked into the room and nearly died to see them - it looked like they had just been taken out of the boxes brand new.

Anyway enough of my yacking; here is the one dodgy picture I managed to take while there was still daylight and charge in the camera (just to whet the appetite):

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nobody.

Nice one Martin

I'm ILOB.

Enjoy Martin
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ooooh... More Celest-fest! And so another Celestionista joins the fold

Fire 'em up and let us know what you think, then take a decent photo of the buggers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Hi Marco

What do you use for speaker cable/connectors on the 66 as these have tiny, tiny speaker terminals that will only accpet spade connectors, they won't take bare wire even?
    Current Lash Up:

Mmm... That's interesting, Martin. On both my 15XRs and 66s, there are (admittedly very basic) but decent enough speaker terminals that take any kind of modern banana plugs.

Do your 44s not look like this at the back?

Note the type of terminals shown, which are also the same as on my 66s. Banana plugs simply fit straight in

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

The terminals on mine are tiny - the plastic cover that unscrews is about 5mm across and the pillar it sits on is about 5mm deep so practically impossible to get even 79 strand bound around it. They are all original so I don't know how your 66 are different. I will have to get some spade connectors before I can try them I think
    Current Lash Up:

Yup, that is a strange one, unless yours are super-early ones which might have been fitted with different terminals. Andr'e would know

What was the guy using, in terms of speaker cable, who you bought them from - bell wire??

It's quite easy though to fit new terminals

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Yeah bell wire with spades I think but he had them in storage for 30 years and was using Tannoys and B&W 601 s2 instead
    Current Lash Up:

You'll defo need to fit decent speaker terminals, not least because you won't be able to use any decent cable otherwise.

Still, that's a minor problem. The good news, apart from the fact that they look in mint condition, is that the early ones tend to have the best bits inside, crossover-wise, so I wouldn't worry too much

Can you see what the serial numbers are?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast