+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Marantz is best???

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    O i lurves the oldies
    'CD-34', 'CD-63' (Original) , 'CD-73'

Me too. And what DAC chips did most (if not all) of those use?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Me too. And what DAC chips did most (if not all) of those use?

Marco.
    TDA-1540

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, a classic, just like the 1541

Modern DAC chips sound clinical and soulless in comparison!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

'TDA1540' is 14-bit DAC chip, sounds great, your right, i dislike modern DAC's aswell..

I'm gonna be playing about with a late 80's Techy 'SL-P770' 18 Bit/4x CDP this weekend see how it compares to the old '1540' machines. I wanted a 'SL-P1000' but this came up minto & cheap, i hope it don't sound sound too ace cos i'd hate to be in the Techy club

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I bought a CD74 at a car boot sale last week and, after chiselling off all the hardened grease on the drawer loading mechanism, cleaning it all out, fitting a new belt and giving it a general once-over, not only does it work a treat, it sounds superb.

OK, so it falls short of my CD94II/CDA94 combo, but I've heard a lot worse and I reckon it was still damn good for £8!
    Bargaintastic mate!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You guys have such incredible rose tinted specs it amazes me

Those early Philips/Marantz machines gave me a headache and a Nakamichi cassette recording of discs played on these always sounded better I recall. The better ones (I liked the Mission DAD7000, B&O CDX and Meridian MCD Pro, which I owned) have balls, but no subtlety at all, no "space" and little "air" I found.

The nicest of the earliest players was actually the Sony CDP-101 for me. This player of all of them seems to have stood the tests of time sonically, although it's still rather flat in perspectives. The CDP-502 and 505 which followed very soon after were rather superior I remember.

So there!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You guys have such incredible rose tinted specs it amazes me

Those early Philips/Marantz machines gave me a headache and a Nakamichi cassette recording of discs played on these always sounded better I recall. The better ones (I liked the Mission DAD7000, B&O CDX and Meridian MCD Pro, which I owned) have balls, but no subtlety at all, no "space" and little "air" I found.

The nicest of the earliest players was actually the Sony CDP-101 for me. This player of all of them seems to have stood the tests of time sonically, although it's still rather flat in perspectives. The CDP-502 and 505 which followed very soon after were rather superior I remember.

So there!

Your right with the 'DAD7000' & 'CDP-101'.. Classics.. I bid on at least four 'CDP-101' this year, geez they fetch quite a bit of cutter mi bruvver..Thing is it doesnt stop there you need to be changing out the obsolete servo amps which will knock you back another £100.00.

'CDP-302ES', 'CDP-502ES', CDP-552ESD' are all nice machines..as is the 'DAS-703ES' DAC..Even the 'CDP-102' was a good un.

however the Marantz 'CD73' don't give me headache!

I'm libor.

thank you for the invite....I was just passing by and the Marantz cd7 was in my search criteria....I have been in the hobby for some time and the TDA 1541 was always my favorite to go back to, even after all the Krell,Accuphase,Wadia,Theta etc experimentations...

I'm simon.

where does the cd-17 ki, fit in the scheme of things?
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm libor.

these guys have all the Marantz info :

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/mar...7mk2_cdplayer/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast