+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Marantz is best???

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I bought a CD74 at a car boot sale last week and, after chiselling off all the hardened grease on the drawer loading mechanism, cleaning it all out, fitting a new belt and giving it a general once-over, not only does it work a treat, it sounds superb.

OK, so it falls short of my CD94II/CDA94 combo, but I've heard a lot worse and I reckon it was still damn good for £8!
    I just about recall those, they predate my getting into HiFi my first Marantz was a CD 273 Se I then went to a CD 65 the CD65mk2 SE then CD 85.

I never quite saw the sense in putting the 94 DAC with the 94mk 2 as it has a better DAC section being dual differential (should have had balanced outs. I think the Lampizator offers guidance on a Mod to do this) but I must confess to not having tried it, always wanting a CD 12 instead.

Regards D S D L

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    No problem at all.

Sounds like you have created something quite special. I agree about the TDA 1541 very special indeed. If you get a chance have a listen to the AMR Cd77, it uses TDA 1541s and a valve output stage...its very special imho.

Regards D S D L
    Not seen one of those before but that looks mighty impressive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I bought a CD74 at a car boot sale last week and, after chiselling off all the hardened grease on the drawer loading mechanism, cleaning it all out, fitting a new belt and giving it a general once-over, not only does it work a treat, it sounds superb.

OK, so it falls short of my CD94II/CDA94 combo, but I've heard a lot worse and I reckon it was still damn good for £8!
    I really should pop to a few more car boot sales!!!!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    As I said some will disagree. Personally I never rated the CD80 as being much of a step forward at the time it was new (sold them back in the day) and virtually all the reviews back in the day all said the CD 94mk2 was as good as the CD12, hence why I placed them side by side (quite happy to do a comparison some time if your game David)

Thing to remember about multi-bit Marantz players they need to be left on and it takes about a week for the sound to stabilize.

Regards D S D L
    Hi Neil,

I'd look forward to that. I have to add that my absolute favourate player is a Geoff Bull modified CD80 (player only used as a transport) with 2 external power supplies and an external DAC (featuring an S2 chip and discrete output stage with offset nulling).

These players as addictive....

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedle-Dee View Post
    Hi Neil,

I'd look forward to that. I have to add that my absolute favourate player is a Geoff Bull modified CD80 (player only used as a transport) with 2 external power supplies and an external DAC (featuring an S2 chip and discrete output stage with offset nulling).

These players as addictive....
    Yes it would be very interesting indeed. Next time your up this neck of the woods we can arrange it.

Regards D S DL

Rather than hijack this thread, I've stuck a few details of my player in this thread HERE. I must admit, I'm very impressed with the AMR and would love to hear one!!!
    Ian

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by UV101 View Post

I really should pop to a few more car boot sales!!!!
    All great but the vultures are there at dawn, things usally get picked over.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    All great but the vultures are there at dawn, things usally get picked over.
    mmmmm this might not work for me! Not really a morning person at all at the weekends!
    Ian

I'm libor.

I agree on the Marantz cd7 to be the best machine ever.....just a bit of that Philips CD spinner noises, but the sound is very natural and unique for digital audio player......You can use it as a DAC only so it is also future proof....

I'm Nobody.

O i lurves the oldies
    'CD-34', 'CD-63' (Original) , 'CD-73'

Last edited by Rare Bird; 08-06-2011 at 22:32.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by prcinka View Post
    I agree on the Marantz cd7 to be the best machine ever.....just a bit of that Philips CD spinner noises, but the sound is very natural and unique for digital audio player......You can use it as a DAC only so it is also future proof....
    Hi there,
    Welcome to the Art of Sound!
    Perhaps you wouldn't mind finding your way over to the Welcome section where you can start a new thread to tell us all a little bit about yourself and your hi-fi & music tastes?
    It's a good way to be sure of a warm welcome from the community.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast