+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What were your worst HIFI purchases?

I'm Frank.

My worst purchase was buying a new pair of JBL Radiance 55 speakers in 1981. Spent nearly a month's wages on them and kept them less than a year. Impedance could dip low enough to blow the fuses in my A60, the tweeters couldn't handle much power and the finish wasn't up to much. They're the only speakers I was ecstatic to see go, despite losing a bundle on the sale.

I'm Pig.

The purchase that sticks out in my mind is a pair of Wharfdale 505 loudspeakers.

I'd had a pair of MkII Diamonds which were nice little things and all of the magazines raved about the bigger 505s, giant killers, all the usual crap. Looked ideal, like the Diamonds except better.

So I phoned Stereo Stereo, Glasgow's Linn/Naim dealer and asked if they had them, surely they would have such a great speaker? They said "No, we don't stock them, they're rubbish." But how can that be, five-stars have they, etc etc? "Well, if you want them we'll get them for you, but you won't like them."

So I found a more compliant dealer and bought them. Clean, detailed and as boring as you get! No matter what I did with them they refused to make any music interesting, nothing made your toes tap or sing along.

I think that was a record, sold after about two months and a lesson learned. Replaced by a old pair of Linn Kans, the first of three pairs, which were just great. Rubbish if you like Hi-Fi, superb if you like music! ;0)

I'm paul.

Logic DM 101 mk 1, fantastic sound but the belt kept falling off the motor spindle at 45rpm. I sold it and bought a mk 2 with electronic speed change and was much happier.

Audiolab 8000a mk 1, it could not drive my Audio Technica Electrostatic Headphones for more than 30 minutes without the protection circuit shutting it down.

Rega RB 300, sounded hollow.

Technicks EPC 205 mk3, complete mistake with my Ittok.

And back in the 1970`s a big flashy PIONEER GRAPHIC EQUALIZER my mates loved it, and I was thinking it must be better it cost £100.
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoy man View Post
    Logic DM 101 mk 1, fantastic sound but the belt kept falling off the motor spindle at 45rpm. I sold it and bought a mk 2 with electronic speed change and was much happier.

Audiolab 8000a mk 1, it could not drive my Audio Technica Electrostatic Headphones for more than 30 minutes without the protection circuit shutting it down.

Rega RB 300, sounded hollow.

Technicks EPC 205 mk3, complete mistake with my Ittok.
    Sounded great in my QL1
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112