+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good sounding value DAC?

I'm Nick.

I think you would be hard pushed to replicate the Beresford even with DIY, you could possibly hack some boards together from ebay and get a working DAC, but the amount of work involved to get the equivilant in a box with a power supply would work out (I am sure) more than the selling price. Doing real DIY would either involve messing about with SMT adaptors to build something, or getting a PCB made which would eat most of the price of the Berisford before any other parts were ordered.

You don't mention where in the world you are, there may be someone near with one they can let you try?

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Another vote for the Beresford.

I've posted many times that it replaced a DAC costing over £2k in my system.
    ATB

David

David is passing by tomorrow. I might even get him to listen to the 7510+ prototype, which is the one on view in the 'PC Not Required' picture.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Nice one!
    Keep us updated

I'm ILOB.

wow how about a drink sometime
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Another thumbs up for Stans DAC here.

Its changed the way i listen to digital sources, it sits on top of an MVX pre-amp that in 1990 cost 25 times as much and apart from my T/T is the only other thing connected to it.
    I cant remember the last time i used my CDP, as i`m now using my hard drive when i`m not playing vinyl,the biggest shock for me was the difference it makes to the skybox when watching films, so much so i feel no need to get a surround system.

I got over the lack of USB input with a 15 quid USB to optical convertor from maplin and imo it sounds fantastic.
    Regards, John.

Dropping youngest boy at school, then off to the station and destination Stanley's abode! As long as I don't get lost I should be on my way home with a shiny new Beresford TC-7510 under my arm.

--
    djp

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    wow how about a drink sometime
    You're on.

The search is over. I now have in my possession, a good sounding, budget DAC! Thanks Stanley!

Off home to begin burning her in.

--
    djp

I'm Peter.

Is it a MK6/3 or the 7510+ ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.