+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good sounding value DAC?

Default Good sounding value DAC?

From what I've learnt over the past few days, regarding digital music playback, I'm going to need a DAC in-order to get the best from my setup. I'm using an Intel iMac with a Creek CAS 4040 amplifier at present, connected via a standard headphone output port on the iMac with a 3.5mm to RCA phono jack. To improve things (from what I've researched, so I may be wrong), I will need to utilize my iMacs optical output and connect a DAC to it which in turn I'll link up to the Creek amp. Have I got this correct?

I don't have a huge budget for the DAC, probably up to £150 (roughly US$275). I only require a simple DAC, no need for headphone port or anything fancy, just a simple DAC that will let me connect via optical output from my iMac and then connect up my Creek. I must admit I'm not sure whether a USB DAC would suffice? Is a USB connection preferable to an optical one or vice versa? Coaxial is unfortunately, not an option.

So far the DAC's that I've read about in a favorable light are the Entech Number cruncher 203.2 (though I can't find anyone selling this in the UK), Silverstone Ensemble EB01, Firestone fubar II and the Beresford TC-7510. Now some of these do have more than I need, such as the headphone output. Can anyone here point me in the direction of a decent sounding DAC that is within my budget? As I've said, literally a raw DAC with no fancy features will suffice.

Maybe I'll be advised that spending that amount of money won't improve my current setup. If that's the outcome, fine, I'll stick with what I have.

Any advice most appreciated.

--
    djp

I'm Neil.

Having only heard the Beresford I'll nonetheless highly recommend it. I have recently started using one, it's partnered with much more expensive gear in my setup and is not shown up at all. Quite the opposite, I've been given a really non-fatiguing, vivid and dynamic sound without the digital 'sheen' I'm used to hearing in even high end players. It's managed to pull me away from exclusively playing vinyl. :P Lots of people have dumped much more expensive equipment for the Beresford. The multiple inputs are ideal if you ever wanted to plug in a CD transport, a Sky Digibox etc. I don't use the headphone out either. For the money it's a no-brainer and will certainly provide a huge upgrade over your Imac's analogue outs when it's plugged in through your iMac's optical out.

I'm Nick.

The Beresford TC-7510 would be my suggestion. It will do everything you need.

I am about to setup a similar system for use to drive headphones. In this case, it will be PC + Sound card with Optical out -> Beresford DAC -> Headphones.

The choice of headphones is yet to be decided, and I 'spect I will build a valve headphone amp sometime soon, but the DAC will still be used.

I was just about to post a link to this DAC as well! Thought it was basic and would suit my needs, but have no idea what it would do for sound quality.

The Beresford does look a very good DAC for the money and it's available just up the road from where I live also! Thanks for the heads-up. Any further recommendations always welcome.

--
    djp

I'm Nick.

And if you want to use USB there is this http://www.devilsound.com/ for about £140 delivered as far as I can tell, but I haven't heard one, so don't know how it compairs. But it certainly fits your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    And if you want to use USB there is this http://www.devilsound.com/ for about £140 delivered as far as I can tell, but I haven't heard one, so don't know how it compairs. But it certainly fits your requirements.
    Looks the part lurcher, thanks. Don't think I can get it from the UK though, so would have to place an order to the States by the look of things. As an aside, would a USB connection be preferable to an optical one? I personally, have no idea!

--
    djp

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    Just found out that the Devilsound doesn't support 24/96, whereas the Beresford does. Another plus point for the latter then.

--
    djp

I'm Nick.

I don't know what would be better USB or not, I know there seems to be issues with Windows driven USB, but I get the impression that things are better with the MAC.

I have been exchanging emails with one of the chaps behind the Devilsound DAC about DAC design, so I have emailed him to check if is as it seems on the web site, $250 incuding shipping (6 Days it seems).

I'm Nick.

Just to add, I got a response "Yeah, shipping is free to anywhere ... "

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

If your not into diy then I'd also say the Beresford TC-7510 too if your wanting to spend less than £150
    The market for cheap dacs is pretty fierce at the moment, of course there is a large choice of crap out there too ,so be weary of the unknown offerings

The Devilsound job looks interesting, nice and compact, I've not tried one yet
    Last edited by leo; 21-09-2008 at 18:02.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast