+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 401 | SME 309

I'm David.

Default Garrard 401 | SME 309

Its powered up, it has an arm fitted, it has a cartridge on and its spinning nicely, slight ammount of noise which I can live with, sounds majestic, pictures to follow.

I'm Hugo.

Did you get the SME spacer from Sound Supports, then?

I'm ILOB.

Yes the 401 sounds nice It might be worth looking at the idlier
    What plinth are you using
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Did you get the SME spacer from Sound Supports, then?
    Yes thanks Hugo, much appreciated good advice from a top bloke, thx again.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yes the 401 sounds nice It might be worth looking at the idlier
    What plinth are you using
    I needed a quick solution (when I bought it I though I would get it up and running in days, it took 3 months in the end) so I bought an MDF 2 tier plinth which does the job.

The slate audio new design is £1300 BTW, if I was keeping the 401 and did not have my Techie I would be tempted but no.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

There's a lifetime of modification fun to be had with the 401. For starters if you had a lilac plinth like mine you'd find yourself redecorating your house...

Garrard 401 004.jpg

Pete

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    There's a lifetime of modification fun to be had with the 401. For starters if you had a lilac plinth like mine you'd find yourself redecorating your house...

Garrard 401 004.jpg

Pete
    No shit mate. I have the exact same plinth myself...

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

In-between the Mike Greenwood design and the full remortgage slate plinth are a number of attractive wooden options eg www.layers-of-beauty.co.uk It occurs to me that the thing to watch out for is the ones that, while looking a million dollars, are hollow boxes like 401's used to suffer from in the 70's.

Pete

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    In-between the Mike Greenwood design and the full remortgage slate plinth are a number of attractive wooden options eg www.layers-of-beauty.co.uk It occurs to me that the thing to watch out for is the ones that, while looking a million dollars, are hollow boxes like 401's used to suffer from in the 70's.

Pete
    Russ has made me plinths in the past and is a master of his art, don't know what to do yet with the Garrard, may sell it.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

The funny thing is, I passed on the lilac plinths on ebay several times... then we ended up decorating the living room lilac anyway!

So, David - I'm guessing you're not enjoying the 401 as much as the Techie? Try it with the Nagaoka before you decide to part with it...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast