+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: Mission 753 Floorstanders

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by dionisio View Post
    Yep, the person who owned them before me must have had some fun. Feeling suitably embarrassed now - but thanks for the pointers everyone.
    No problem chap

Worth getting some replacement tweeters, and try a vacuum cleaner tube on the dented driver domes, sometimes the dents come out
    Cheers, Will

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Rob - don't feel bad about it mate - these things happen.

I'd be prepared to bet that "little fingers" caused those problems... Having a 2.5 year old "hif-fi" terrorist" in the house (who has mercifully not ...no, I daren't say it!) - my AE's had both tweeters poked in, and two dented bass units...

Anyway, it may be possible to salvage the situation a little - sometimes using a drinking straw to try and suck the dents out can work, or if you're feeling brave and have nothing left to lose, you could try the vacuum cleaner like Will says...

Worth a go, maybe - I suspect as has already been suggested, the tweeters will be the worst affected sound quality wise, and may be too late for them, but you might get away with it on the other drivers. I'd then guess ebay will probably be the way to go, unless you advertise them again as a project.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Rob - don't feel bad about it mate - these things happen.

I'd be prepared to bet that "little fingers" caused those problems... Having a 2.5 year old "hif-fi" terrorist" in the house (who has mercifully not ...no, I daren't say it!) - my AE's had both tweeters poked in, and two dented bass units...

Anyway, it may be possible to salvage the situation a little - sometimes using a drinking straw to try and suck the dents out can work, or if you're feeling brave and have nothing left to lose, you could try the vacuum cleaner like Will says...

Worth a go, maybe - I suspect as has already been suggested, the tweeters will be the worst affected sound quality wise, and may be too late for them, but you might get away with it on the other drivers. I'd then guess ebay will probably be the way to go, unless you advertise them again as a project.
    The cabinets themselves are very sturdy, and if you do want to do some DIY on it Monacor studio one sph135s (about £30 each if you look around) are a drop in replacement/upgrade for the drivers.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Rob.

Right, have decided to entrust the restoration of these to a good friend of mine who is a complete whizz with all things electrical... does anyone have a link to those replacement tweeters (SPH-135S)? Have searched the web but can't find them, tried eBay too.

A quick Google also threw up the Monacor DT284S as a potential tweeter candidate... and for the bass driver, the 760i. Both of those parts are available, which is handy.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by dionisio View Post
    Right, have decided to entrust the restoration of these to a good friend of mine who is a complete whizz with all things electrical... does anyone have a link to those replacement tweeters (SPH-135S)? Have searched the web but can't find them, tried eBay too.

A quick Google also threw up the Monacor DT284S as a potential tweeter candidate... and for the bass driver, the 760i. Both of those parts are available, which is handy.
    Not too sure about the tweeters, I got in touch with Wilmslow audio when my bass driver blew...

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

...they recommended the Monacor SPH-135 as a replacement for that, but you can get them cheaper elsewhere, they are an upgrade

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SPH-135-AD-H...3113423&sr=8-3

As for the tweeter I don't know but if you give wilmslow a call they may help, very decent chaps
    Cheers, Will

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One recommendation for any potential 753 owner...

Because of the multiple drivers for bass and mid, the danger of "comb-filter" effects are large, and the sonic consequence of this are that one needs to sit a few metres away from them for the sound to fully "gel." Three to four metres is ideal I found from experience.

Good luck with the tweeter replacement..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    One recommendation for any potential 753 owner...

Because of the multiple drivers for bass and mid, the danger of "comb-filter" effects are large, and the sonic consequence of this are that one needs to sit a few metres away from them for the sound to fully "gel." Three to four metres is ideal I found from experience.

Good luck with the tweeter replacement..
    Yes I'd have to agree Dave, they do suit a larger room, and you're bang on, my optimum listening position is about 11' away (I have them facing longitudinally along a 27' * 15' room) .

One other point about the tweeters, the original 753's had metallic tweeters, and were covered in a mesh screen, at the time they were castigated as being overly harsh, and were replaced by the 753 freedoms which came with softer silk tweeters.

I suppose it all depends on the upstream kit, personally I prefer the original metallic ones, but with the mesh removed (it looks like your's had had this tweak done, hence they were defenceless against little fingers), as it was merely cosmetic/protective and caused a lot of the harshness. I found the subsequent silk tweetered freedoms a little bland in comparison.

Do have a word with wilmslow as they are very helpful, and have a little spreadsheet of appropriate replacement drives for popular speakers, which they've been compiling over time.

The replacement monacor drivers I mentioned earlier, aren't just a replacement they are a considerable upgrade, they really tighten the bass and mid range up, much more 'punchy'. I started off by replacing the top one in each, and ended up doing all 8!!!

Just depends on whether you want to sell them or keep them I suppose
    Last edited by WAD62; 18-04-2011 at 10:15.
    Cheers, Will

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post

One other point about the tweeters, the original 753's had metallic tweeters, and were covered in a mesh screen, at the time they were castigated as being overly harsh, and were replaced by the 753 freedoms which came with softer silk tweeters.

I suppose it all depends on the upstream kit, personally I prefer the original metallic ones, but with the mesh removed (it looks like your's had had this tweak done, hence they were defenceless against little fingers), as it was merely cosmetic/protective and caused a lot of the harshness. I found the subsequent silk tweetered freedoms a little bland in comparison.

Do have a word with wilmslow as they are very helpful, and have a little spreadsheet of appropriate replacement drives for popular speakers, which they've been compiling over time.
    "Waspy" was the Colloms-comment on the original 753 tweets...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    "Waspy" was the Colloms-comment on the original 753 tweets...
    Obviously metallic tweeters are going to be a bit brighter, so it all depends on system matching, but the original mesh screens smack of a sales & marketing afterthought, to make them look prettier with the grills off.

The mesh isn't even physically connected to the tweeter it's just wedged between it and the fascia, and is responsible for a lot of the tiring 'waspyness'. IMHO

FYI http://www.justblair.co.uk/mission-753-tweeter-mod.html
    Last edited by WAD62; 18-04-2011 at 11:03.
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12