+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trio KD-500

I'm Shane.

Default Trio KD-500

I might buy a Trio KD-500 turntable with Audio Technica AT-1120 tonearm from a friend.

Anyone here have any exp/opinions with the Trio KD-500 turntable?

Regards.

I'm Dave.

It's OK if you don't pay much for it.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Spares unobtainable, heavy plinth still needs careful isolation if a muddy bass is to be avoided and the arm from memory is only suitable for very high compliance cartridges such as ADC XLM II, Stanton 681EEEmk3 or Shure v15's. You *may* get away with a Denon 304 which tracks at 1.25g approx and the mid priced AT cartridges (AT120E and 440MLa) may be alright as well..

Shane, you're turning into another Jerry with all your box-swapping
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

I am turning into Jerry!!! Help me!!!!

hifi dave- my friend wants £275 for the combo. Is that OK?

I'm Nobody.

I Don't wanna start of a fresh DD candidate

Sansooi SR-717
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 16-04-2011 at 22:10.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I am turning into Jerry!!! Help me!!!!

hifi dave- my friend wants £275 for the combo. Is that OK?
    Shane, you'd be far better off spending that money on a second-hand SL1200/1210, which can be modded very successfully, and doing the job properly.

The Trio will never sound as good, so TBH, you'd be pissing your money down the drain.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

As Dave said, the arm is good for medium to higher compliance cartridges and OK with less energetic MC's. The TT isn't up to much though, not as good as it looks.

I'm ChrisB.

Shane, please don't take what I'm about to say as anything other than trying to help through a constructive suggestion, but.......

I think one or two of us have suggested before that all this changing of components that you do kind of points to there being something not quite right.
    I'd really suggest stopping and thinking very carefully about what sort of sound you're after. I'd try have a listen to a good range of well balanced systems to give you an idea of what is actually possible and choose the approach that you like best, then aim to replicate that.

You need a strategy mate. Accidentally tripping into a good system by changing things the way you do is very unlikely, I reckon.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

With a Mayware Formula 4 ultra-low-mass arm and a Sonus Blue, this deck sounded good, but this is a very dated combo and the Sonus Blue went off the rails in consistency so lost out.

For once, I'm coming down TOTALLY on Marco's side. A techie for a couple of hundred notes, a Sumiko shell, sorbothane boots to start with and any reasonable cartridge you wish (say, a sweet toned AT120E for starters) and you'll have a direct drive which will better many old-uns straight off. The further upgrades have been documented enough to fill many wage packets
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Adam.

Hmm, seems I'm the lone voice in the wilderness who will say that, actually, the deck isn't that bad. The motor is a respectable FG servo type and the resin base is an impressive lump that isolates the deck quite well. Also, the AT arm is well made and a decent performer within the limitations of its low mass design and thus compatible cartridges.

Maybe £275 is a little optimistic but if the price was, say, closer to £200, I'd grab it.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast