+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some interesting gear....

I'm Nathan.

"concrete and rubber composite plinth"

I'd love to know how that is done. I can only assume you mean a concrete mix with small rubber pieces instead or with the nomal aggregate?

I'd also love to know what difference it is thought to make to the sound.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

synsei Guest

My guess would be two layers of dense concrete with a layer of rubber sandwiched between...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcount View Post
    ok, here are a few snapshots, know Im constantly changing things around.

Magnaplanar actually came on the *bay without feet, no loss as I have no floor space anyway so hanging them was my only option anyway. Just ordered the parts to rebuild the xovers ala Peter Gunn (great guy for sharing), and of course doing a full razoring!. Also plan to add the Heil AMT-1 tweeters with a first order highpass parallel to the magnaplanars, inspired by what I read about the linauem tweets in that application. The AMT-1's like the magnaplanars are dipoles radiating front and back evenly, and I think might fill the high end well (possibly they are too directional to work out, in which case ill find some linauem's)

Here is the VPI Scout with silk drive, and the good old thorens td-124, a real workhorse. The Grace G-860f is the 12" version of one of my favorite Grace arms, the g-840f. I have to say as nice as the VPI is I get the strong feeling a table like the thorens 124 would easily outlive it, even being 40 years older! They just don't make em like this anymore...

Here is the DSD-USB interface from japan i'm using to record records to my computer 1-bit @5.6Mhz sample rate. Called the USB-Dual-Audio from ElectrArt. It's in an open case right now as I keep pulling it to my workdesk for improvements/changes, and the bench power supply on top is temporary.

Sound is incredible, very engaging, and it continues to improve on all fronts as expected (clock, analog section, power supplys) Almost done setting up an atomic clock (rubidium) for the adc.

The Rack is solid steel and heavy, I believe it's an RCA rack as it came with 8 RCA movie theater monoblocks (4x 6l6 in each class a, 6sl7 driver, od3 reg, UTC xformer/choke), an RCA tube compressor, and an RCA tube 4 channel preamp my old man found 30 years ago when the theater closed.
    have another of these racks stored away, along with most of the amps, 2 were modified by harry kolbe for a studio that since closed, I believe he upgraded the input and output transformers to increase the bandwidth, along with full restore, they are balanced as well, really need to set up a lightspeed balanced for them.

really nice feature all the RCA gear has in common, they flip down for easy access to tubes, why isn't ALL rackmount gear like this!

The tubes are a 12au7 and 12ay7 per channel, plus an od3 and 5y3 for the power supply. one of the input tranformers is a langevin, wish I had 2 of em. the channels were marked left front right and fx, and are were last serviced in 1977, I guess the push for THX is why they were dumped, with the demand all theaters do 20-20k.

Here Are the 2 Perreaux PMF-2150, got these for a song, once I got them I had the confidence to get the Magnaplanars. The Weigh 50lbs a piece and keep the rack nice n steady. I read about a guy using 2 of these amps bridged running a pair of apogee's, the amp seeing a 0.5 Ohm load without breaking a sweat! Very Neutral, but it sometimes takes out a circuit breaker on power up due to the inrush current to the caps, cnt have anything lese on the line

Bamboo Tonearm and Fairchild 412 with Grace G-704 Unipivot

The grace arm like many unipivot has a cup where I can squirt really thick silcone oil for dampening the arm, havent tried it yet, but might be really good for heavy lower compliance carts. Currently a Grace F9 body is attached, I have a number of good styli, a few line trace and a ruby cantaliver one, wouldnt dare leave them in the open on that arm, I do have cats
    The Bamboo arm was my favorite of a number of different arm based around the same bearings from an old hard drive, the arm tube has been aged for 40+ years by my grandfather (R.I.P.)who I never met, but was quite fond of bamboo and it's many uses. I am very lucky to have quite a lot of bamboo aged according to japanese tradition. I've made many bamboo arms since I was 12, but this being my most refined, albeit currently not functioning. The 'headshell' was a notched piece of bamboo that has worked loose, I need to make a more refined solution, but when it was tight I was amazed at the sound it could make, but the wood in the shell broke throgh from overtension, and immediatly a resonace was audible so I stopped using it a few months ago.

Here is another version of the bamboo arm, using a knife bearing from an old scale, and another hard drive bearing, this arm was intended to have more mass for certain heavier ultra-low compliance carts (I love being able to tune an arm to a cartridge) Still have not mounted it, but the offset angle and length should be right, they are copied from the 9" grace arms.

Here is the Rek-O-Kut N-33H, with a grace G-840f and a self built wooden armboard stick out the side. It makes adjusting to different arms easy.

This table, while having a tad more hum than the VPI (unnoticable on most records), really sounds every bit as good, and though I have'nt tested it yet I venture to say it would improve even more with it's Papst 3-Phase motor (same as the Empire 208, Fairchild 412, a few other Rek-O-Kuts, and late Thorens TD-124's) driven by a true 3 phase motor controller and bypassing the associated 1-3phase circuitry.

Here are my nagra III's, waiting for the idlers to come back, they sound really great in there range, definitely not modern frequency response (30-16k~18k) but nothing sounds like full track 1/4" @ 15ips.

Recorded a solo singer guitar player with the nagra, cant tell me we needed two mics because it sounds amazing with just one.

McIntosh MC2105, found on the street by a friend along with a Marantz 10B. Amazing what people in NYC throw out! A fool and his money....

Here is the 78 set up, consisting of an Bogen DB-20F Integrated Amp, an RCA 10" Alnico speaker, and a Empire 208 with GE VR Cart, below it is the Korean war army turntable also used on really worn 78's(forgot to take a pic, will post tomorrow)

Nicest thing about the GE carts is needles are dirt cheap and the carts were free (found various places), Would love to get a Supex 900M for 78's, but realistically will prob get a Denon DL-102SP, hey if Sakuma uses it...... Would also love to get soundsmith to make one of my broken Grace F-9 styli into a 78 styli.

Found the Bogen on the street with a mono Dynaco Fm-1 when I was 12, set me off on a life of tube obsession! Both work fine, the Bogen was restored as all its caps were shot causing many intermittent problems (plugged it straight in, didn't know a thing 'bout variacs then)

What can I say, Not Hi-Fi, but High Enjoyment. Midrange is lush and warm, very pleasing sound, only use it for 78's. Alnico magnet, have the model number written down, I believe it was paired with a projector, and was probably something used in a classroom in the 40's/50's.

VPI Record Cleaning Machine, does the job, I don't follow the manual and do a more intensive cleaning with a wet brush, a rinse cycle, vacuum, than a dry brush.

Also have a Kuzma record cleaner, nice and portable, half the price, and just as effective. didnt take a pic of the kuzma but it is set up on the kitchen table. I was very happy to find the Kuzma is part compatible (vacuum tube) with the VPI cleaners. Now all I need is to DIY a Kieth Monks style machine and an Ultrasonic cleaner, for that last little bit of muck

My latest Table, A McCurdy Mc12, waiting for the idler to give her a spin, but impressive build, built like a tank with really nice bearing. Can't wait to hear it. Have to make a nice plinth too, thinking of trying a concrete and rubber composite plinth like a friend made for his lenco.

ahh I'm tired, will post the Fairchild lathe if you wanna see and anything else I missed tomorrow, (well I could go on for days) Hope this was a good read.
    Hell's teeth! I thought I had it bad - but I don't get anywhere close.

What an amazing collection of turntables, and two Nagra III portable reel-to-reel machines.

Next time you see a Marantz 10B 'thrown out' - let me know!

Thanks for sharing

Regards
    Barry

I'm Stu.

Absolutely brilliant.

I've just shown the pics to Mrs Stup and the kids and got "Is he a mentalist?" Does he live on his own"

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Nice collection you have there, two Nagra III's and a PR99 Revox I do like the look of the Revox.
    Those 'PR99 Mk.III' can be picked up cheap enough Nick.

I like that Alloy knob on the McCurdy

I'm Nick.

I must admit that I'm on the lookout for a Technics RS 1500 (has to be a 1500, 2tr rec/pb 4tr pb) - mint if possible, and serviced etc. I've no room for anything else
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I must admit that I'm on the lookout for a Technics RS 1500 (has to be a 1500, 2tr rec/pb 4tr pb) - mint if possible, and serviced etc. I've no room for anything else
    Hi Nick
    I do like the head arangement on those Technics machines..

I'm Lucky.

No, No, NO! Dont you realise? Cant you see? It doesnt add up, its not natural.... all those rareties.... some found for FREE, some dug out of the trash...you've only seen 5% of it. It's all a fantasy, it not real.

Close your eyes boys, log off while you still can this isnt an audiophile.... It's Lucifer himself come to to steal your hifi souls

Next thing will be naked pictures of his gorgeous, nympho of a girlfriend (who just happens to love vintage hifi!) draped all over his kit while we live in our Mum's back bedroom flogging our log and wearing last month's underwear.

Look into your heart: it's so wrong!!!!

Please Marco -for all our sakes: Lock this thread, delete it, bury it deep and BAN THE WITCH.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Now is that any way to greet a new member Darren? Be generous to Alex; he can't help being the recipient of amazing and envy-generating good fortune!

Regards
    Barry

I'm Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Now is that any way to greet a new member Darren? Be generous to Alex; he can't help being the recipient of amazing and envy-generating good fortune!

Regards
    I....... Just...... Cant...... Barry.... Im so green..... It's not right.... So.... Much.... Great..... Kit..... Want it.... Must.... Have.... It.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast