+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Perception trumps reality nearly all the time"

I'm Howard.

Default "Perception trumps reality nearly all the time"

Is this an accurate summation of equipment evaluation – or is it a bit too cynical? Frankly, I'm not sure. But I'm open to being enlightened. Thank you. H.
    Well, hello.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I was watching that myself Howard and was sorely tempted, but timing was all wrong cash wise. Someone got an excellent buy there for sure.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ChrisB.

"Perception trumps reality nearly all the time"
    I'd say you were possibly fairly close to the mark there Howard, but then I'm a bit cynical too. Maybe it would be more true if you had said "Perception and preconception trumps reality nearly all the time"

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I'd say you were possibly fairly close to the mark there Howard, but then I'm a bit cynical too. Maybe it would be more true if you had said "Perception and preconception trumps reality nearly all the time"
    You've made a fine point there IMHO and I thank you for it. In fact your modification substantially improves the quality of the assertion. Let's see how this thread progresses. Fun here isn't it? No irony intended.
    Well, hello.

I'm ChrisB.

I'd also be interested to hear what others might think.

I'm ILOB.

I tend to see perception as how we percieve and make sense of information,this will be unique to each person.
    When I used to do counselling I often thought thata person starts to change when they percieve whatever happening in a different light (sorry a bit of track here)
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    This could easily drift into an existentialist conversation. "I think therefore I am..."

The fact is that what happens around us is processed via a set of relatively effective senses (when I say relatively, I mean most of our senses decay over time and so their effectiveness shifts). Context, condition, perspective and therefore perception do define what we know and understand of the world.

Our perception of the world is entirely formed by the organ between our two ears. And any predisposition, be that psychological or physical, that organ has affects how we percieve things.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Dave.

I have always said that customer perception is the reality of a brand. You might have the best offering in the world but if the customer does not perceive it to be so then the offering has no value.
    Psychologists talk of giraffes and jackals - giraffes are open minded and listen to suggestions, jackals are so busy looking for the negative that nothing positive sinks in or gets considered. I think it sums up a lot of people very well. I like to think I am a giraffe but in reality I have a lot of jackal in me. Hope that makes sense
    PS quality without the perception of such has as much significance as the dot above the "i" in the word "shit".
    my 2p worth.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck (Stereonow) View Post
    Is this an accurate summation of equipment evaluation – or is it a bit too cynical? Frankly, I'm not sure. But I'm open to being enlightened. Thank you. H.
    Depends on how you define 'reality'. Who is the final arbiter who unambiguously confirms that something is 'reality', while something else isn't?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Depends on how you define 'reality'.
    The best definition I ever heard of reality is that it is a "hallucination caused by lack of alcohol".

And on that thought, I'm going back to my second bottle of Suthwyk Ales' 'Liberation'.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast