+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Marco's latest vintage marvel....

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Well,after having the G800 for ages now,and thinking the stylus was damaged,i today got it out for another look at it.

When i first set it up,it sounded very sibilant,with insistant highs,so thought it was damaged.I then got a vintage shure SC35C and forgot about the G800,as the SC35C is perfect for what i mainly listen to.

So today i cleaned it,set it up as marco described in his first post.The sibilance was still there,but not as bad as i remember.Everything else sounded fine and was hinting that there was more to come.Reading through the thread,i was reminded that marco added a 3grm weight and heavier c/w.

Now i don't have a heavier c/w,but i did stick a 5 pence piece on the headshell and voila,siblance gone!! Now i can hear what marco has been going on about with this cart,It sounds very good,happy days
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Darren. I knew you'd get there in the end!

The G800 is a fine cartridge, WHEN used properly in a system designed to optimise its sonic performance. You'll find that most of the cartridges from that era like a bit of mass, as they'd originally have partnered some pretty heavy tonearms.

Now, if you want to take things to the next level, send it to Dom for a re-tip and/or an upgrade of its cantilever to something a little more 'exotic' - then watch her fly!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Erm yeah,i can say i will do something,but it might not actually manifest for about a year

I think i'm going to get the mike new bearing first,as he has a good offer atm.
    I promised myself,that my speakers were the last big purchase for me this year,oh well

I will eventually send it to dom for a fettle,not likely this year though!!

What i will do though,is find a better headshell and weight and maybe cartridge leads.

Do you think it's worth adding the Heavier c/w? I'm sure there is one in the classifieds.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021