+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Marco's latest vintage marvel....

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Wasn't the ADC 26 very expensive for its time? I seem to remember it being the priciest in one of the early Hi-Fi Choice books.
    It was very "Top End" at the time, this and the Empire 1000ZE/X costing far more than the Shure V15 II or III I remember, although by the time of the V15 III, the ADC XLM and Empire 2000Z series' had all but replaced them IIRC.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea24 View Post
    What is/was the "free field" principle?
    I think the "Free Field" term eventually became known as "Induced Magnet." Instead of a (then) comparatively heavy permanent magnet being hauled around by the stylus/cantilever behind the hinge point, the little tube behind the cantilever was a "magnetisable material," a magnet being mounted in the cartidge body above - in these Goldrings and ADC's at any rate. IIRC, current Ortofon "MM" types are also induced magnet, but the magnet is a tiny ring around the cantilever at the hinge point - I think.....

Currently getting re-acquainted with a Grado F1+ from the late 70's. Big, ballsy, good tracking and not over-refined like I remember the current Gold being, it's great and loves the massive Lab 80 tonearm
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm stu.

Have a g800 now up and running.
    Got the body off a deck from a car boot a few years ago and the stylus was mangled.

Just got a replacement stylus and have to say it sounds very good.
    Bass is tight and well defined and detail is all there.

Other carts i have been using are ortofon mc range 10 and 15 and shure m75.
    The ortofon are more upfront and have a cd quality about them.
    I don't really want my tt to have cd quality as it seems a bit pointles so it's nice to try these old carts from the 70s/80s that can be had for next to nothing.

For a tenner it's an absolute bargain.
    Well worth hunting one down.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Dave,

Ah, thanks for the info. It's what I suspected, and rather proves my point that the Goldring *is* a quality cartridge, if the 800E and Super E were so highly regarded in their day.

It's the generator which is at the 'business end' of how a cartridge intrinsically sounds. The stylus type simply alters the final presentation, therefore which one is 'superior' will depend on how one prefers music reproduced, vis-à-vis the sonic signatures of conical vs. elliptical styli.

Me? I'll happily trade a (little) fine detail retrieval and treble extension for the 'boogie factor' and natural tonality of a nice conical tip.

Ok, that's interesting. You can solve something for me then: First of all, this is the stylus I'm using:

http://www.stylusplus.co.uk/stylus-f...dge-7231-p.asp

Observe where it says:

So, at 2.7g, I'm still well within the recommended range. However, it isn't an original G800 stylus, although it is a conical type

Now, going back to the G800H you mentioned, have a look here, and scroll down about a quarter of the way to where the D-110H and D-110E styli are shown:

http://www.adelcom.net/GoldringStylus1.htm

Could those be used with my G800 cartridge?

Interesting! I'll have a look at that. Meanwhile your answer to the above question would be useful - churz

Marco.
    I have attached the instruction sheet I received with my G800 cartridge for anybody who has one. It states that the tracking force is between 1.5 and 3 grams for the original cartridge stylus.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Wasn't the ADC 26 very expensive for its time? I seem to remember it being the priciest in one of the early Hi-Fi Choice books.
    The ADC 25 was the most expensive in their line-up. Came with two styli as well (conical & elliptical). Only ever sold 2 - were about £90 each. The 26 was a third cheaper. You could have bought 3 decca Blues then for that, and got change. B&O as well as ADC, Grado, Pickering, Empire and especially Ortofon were considered the better carts. then rather than Goldring800 E variants.

I know I shall probably get caned for this, but the G800 came with just about every SP25 sold in some quarters, until Shure caught on and did the 75-6 and 75EJ. The 800E wasn't so good a cart. and many considered the Super E too much for what it was. I still consider my G800 to be a millstone, or should I say milestone.

I'm Alex.

I remember the G800 and G800H being sold, what is the difference?

In the loft is a Garrard SP25 with a G800, or possibly G800H
    Spendorman

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I remember the G800 and G800H being sold, what is the difference?
    'H' is the High output version

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    'H' is the High output version
    Thanks, now I remember!!

Are they marked H?
    Spendorman

I'm Nobody.

More than likley a 'H' if it's on your 'SP25'..Whats colours the Styli?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    More than likley a 'H' if it's on your 'SP25'..Whats colours the Styli?
    Not sure, it's in the loft, must have been there 30+years. Next time up there, will look. Think there may be two more SP25 up there as well.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast