+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's latest vintage marvel....

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Talking Marco's latest vintage marvel....

A week ago, I mentioned to DSJR that I'd discovered another vintage cartridge I considered was a bit of a gem, and which was much maligned (likely because some of the equipment it would've been partnered with in its era, would've been fairly poor - I'm thinking here mainly of preamps/phonostages), well ladies and gentlemen, I give you the old BBC war horse: the Goldring G800, purloined from eBay for the grand total of £3.70 (exc stylus)....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

For those interested, the headshell is NOS, from the 1980s (which cost over 10 times as much as the cartridge did!), as are the headshell leads (Sansui SSL-101 LC-OFC):

The G800 likes a bit of mass, so the LT-12 solid magnesium headshell, plus a 1g spacer weight, (13g in total, excluding mounting hardware) is perfect. VTF sounds spot on at 2.5g (from a range of 2-4g).

To say that this cartridge (in my system) is high in the SPPV stakes, would be an underestimation akin to intimating that Sir Edmund Hillary 'did quite well climbing a wee hill'

I'm off to do a few things, but will return later with my thoughts on a cartridge harking from 'ye olden days' that shines when used with decent equipment, and yet again shows a clean pair of heels to much of the frigid and forensic sounding tat made these days in the budget to mid-end cartridge arena.....

Laters!

Marco.

P.S Dave, and it was even born in Suffolk, so you should feel right at home!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shane.

If it's the one in the photo, Marco, then it's got a non-Goldring stylus in it. Genuine Goldring styli had Goldring written on them. Non OEM replacements are very common.

Yup, Shane, but it sounds mighty fine for not having an original stylus on it! However, it needs a few album sides of use before losing a slightly sibilant tendency. I got the stylus from here:

http://www.stylusplus.co.uk/stylus-f...dge-7231-p.asp

They also sell the 'posher' elliptical one for £30....

Right, must shoot - LATERS!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

After Shane's observation about styli, I thought it prudent to obtain an original. This one came with a free cartridge!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

We'll see what condition the stylus is in........

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Keith.

You're making me feel nostalgic - I had one of those on my first ever turntable: a Garrard SP25 Mk III
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You know i just don't understand this First up he goes & buys some Celestion Ditton 66s (which i own as well) & now he goes & buys the same cartridge that i also have kicking about here somewhere

I'm off looking for a hidden camera
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Nice one, Keith. I hadn't even heard of the G800 until Dave (DSJR) mentioned it in a thread discussing cartridges the BBC once used for broadcasting purposes, and as I have somewhat of a 'fetish' for that sort of thing, I decided to see if it would fulfil my expectations.

I very happy to say it did

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

I got one of those some time ago. For free!

It was crap and went in the bin... Are you sure your ears are OK?
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm steve.

I must have 3 or 4 on those on different decks marco.. i've never bothered to try them...

i'm trying to get the new spu run in.. so it will be a few days before i have a look

cheers
    steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I got one of those some time ago. For free!

It was crap and went in the bin... Are you sure your ears are OK?
    Of course they're not - I'm just a big daftee, remember!

Steve, you should try one. It doesn't quite have the magic of the M3D, but it sounds really ballsy and tons of fun on my Techy

New SPU? Tell us more!! Which one did you get?

One thing though, the G800 is not the highest output MM I've used (certainly when auditioned subjectively), so you need a phono stage with enough gain to allow it to shine. Or perhaps I'm just used to the sonic effect of high-gain MC step-up transformers, when using the 103 or SPU. The output level is certainly lower than I get with the SPU, through the A23.

Still, all it takes is a heavier lean on the volume control, and all is well!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast