+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacima Mains Conditioner.

I'm Adam.

Default Tacima Mains Conditioner.

Hi all, will be getting new mains block soon and wanted some advice on them, now i don't want to go mad and spend much (£30 max), i found this on ebay, any body know if its a ok mains conditioner?

Or any others to look out for?
    Must have 6 sockets.

Thanks,
    Adam.
    [Main Room Audio/Video:] TV: Toshiba 32LV665V - AV Amp: Sony STR-DH810 - BD/DVD Player: Sony BDP-S360 - Speakers: Sony SS-MS155
    [Bedroom Audio:] Amp: Teac A-H300 Modded Pre/Power Amp - CD Player: Teac PD-H300 - Speakers: Eltax Wave Mini - Interconnects: QED Performance Audio 2 - Speaker Cable: QED Silver Anniversary XT

I'm invisible.

Mostly regarded as good for the price, however many report that it strangles the sound. The best compromise seems to be to use it for everything except amps, plug them direct into the mains......
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    Mostly regarded as good for the price, however many report that it strangles the sound. The best compromise seems to be to use it for everything except amps, plug them direct into the mains......
    Trouble is my main wall outlet is too far away from my amp, i have no choice but to use a extension lead.

Any others for around the same price that wont mess up my sound?

Thanks loads,
    Adam.
    [Main Room Audio/Video:] TV: Toshiba 32LV665V - AV Amp: Sony STR-DH810 - BD/DVD Player: Sony BDP-S360 - Speakers: Sony SS-MS155
    [Bedroom Audio:] Amp: Teac A-H300 Modded Pre/Power Amp - CD Player: Teac PD-H300 - Speakers: Eltax Wave Mini - Interconnects: QED Performance Audio 2 - Speaker Cable: QED Silver Anniversary XT

I'm invisible.

If you have a double socket you could always use a plain extension for the amp alongside the Tacima.....Just a thought.
    You could try the amp into the Tacima and see how you get on. Might be OK, might not. If you dont like it , run a plain extension.
    Not aware of others for 30 squid that are any better.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    If you have a double socket you could always use a plain extension for the amp alongside the Tacima.....Just a thought.
    You could try the amp into the Tacima and see how you get on. Might be OK, might not. If you dont like it , run a plain extension.
    Not aware of others for 30 squid that are any better.
    Thanks for the help/info, suppose it wont hurt to try.

Adam.

I'm Robert.

I have one of these. Occasionally I move things onto it to test it out again when things change. I recently moved the beresford onto it to see if the gator and maplin bench supply worked well with it on headphones. It did seem to make things easier to follow, and bass seems to flow better and less hardness on treble, time will tell if it stays, as with the old opamp/12V smps setup I ended up removing it, but things are looking better this time. With the amp it can tame things down with boomy bass when its a problem, but can lack a little weight, the current setup running from its own socket seems better.
    Rob

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    I have one of these. Occasionally I move things onto it to test it out again when things change. I recently moved the beresford onto it to see if the gator and maplin bench supply worked well with it on headphones. It did seem to make things easier to follow, and bass seems to flow better and less hardness on treble, time will tell if it stays, as with the old opamp/12V smps setup I ended up removing it, but things are looking better this time. With the amp it can tame things down with boomy bass when its a problem, but can lack a little weight, the current setup running from its own socket seems better.
    Thanks Rob for the info

Will give it a go and see what happens.

Adam.

I'm David.

This is what you need boss, decent 6 way block, with light dis-abled, wired with good quality cable and a decent plug, will do the job nicely. The listing is actually closed as I shut my e-bay shop for a while, if you want one drop me a pm mate.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

P.S Don't be tempted to buy off bedroom sellers on e-bay who are not registered as a business and who use SY cable because it looks nice but is no use for audio applications.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    This is what you need boss, decent 6 way block, with light dis-abled, wired with good quality cable and a decent plug, will do the job nicely. The listing is actually closed as I shut my e-bay shop for a while, if you want one drop me a pm mate.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

P.S Don't be tempted to buy off bedroom sellers on e-bay who are not registered as a business and who use SY cable because it looks nice but is no use for audio applications.
    Thanks David, just had a look on your site, the next mains block up from this one looks good (the £50 one), so will give you a shout once im ready to buy.

Thanks,
    Adam.

I'm Gary.

Have to say this thread got me curious...
    I've one of the Tacima mains blocks which I've been using to hook up my AV stuff, as I think it gives a better picture with it in place.

My amp and Touch/Caiman is direct into the wall.

I tried my hifi into the Tacima before but found that for the Caiman Dac and my old Squeezebox 3 they both sounded better direct from the wall.

Couple of things have changed since then though..
    My Caimans had the "passive mod" done, with no opamp stage and a couple of film caps in place - as well as the Mutara's/Elna's etc.
    ..basically its now "full bhoona" Caiman.
    Also, I'm running it with the Maplins linear bench supply at 15V

Also, I've got a SB Touch now, with a better switching supply, SPDIF out etc.

Not tried the Touch yet, but theres a worthwhile improvement running the caiman/linear supply from the Tacima.
    Tighter sound yet more open soundstage?
    Acoustic sets have a better sense of seperate people playing and it sounds more like real people rather than recordings...this is probably down to there being more air in the mids and top end detail compared to before.
    Good stuff.

I swapped it back and forth several times...then went away and tried the same thing later.
    Yup, a definate improvement.

Not tried the Touch yet, will do the Touch later.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast