What is the difference between those two amps?
What is the sound difference too?
Which one is better to buy nowadays?
Printable View
What is the difference between those two amps?
What is the sound difference too?
Which one is better to buy nowadays?
I read about this recently. If I find the link, I'll post it.
From memory, the 3020 contained a design flaw in the circuitry that introduced some kind of feedback. Rather than impair the sound, this error actually seemed to enhance it :scratch:.
However, the 3020A corrected the error, and the sound did chance. Apparently the amp sounded clearer, but not as pleasing :doh:.
That's what I understand, at least.
I've searched for the article, but can't find it. I came across it when researching which amp I should upgrade to (I was looking for a new Nad!).
Lenny
Nah... The 3020A had an MC input the previous one didn't...
The very early 3020's were terribly unreliable and any surviving ones would have been sorted decades ago. As production went on, the internals got a bit neater, but the warm hearted and slightly fruity sound remained - most endearing it was too. We only went the Creek route to start with because the latter was made just up the road and, after a few months getting to know Mike, he seemed to respond to what his little amp needed to do and worked on it accordingly..
Do please be aware that the 3020 series will be nearly thirty years old now and although the design became reliable, old components may have drifted off by now, depending on the use it's had.
The "audiophile" version, the 3120, which came minus tone controls, never gelled the way the stock model did, the supposedly cleaner sonics tending to "force" the music out in comparison I remember. With modern sources and speakers though, who knows...
MC input could be eventually valuable in future.
What about sound wise? Which version is better?
Thanks
Hi
3020A is the best in my opinion
Hi
between the 3020 and 3020Athe 3020A wins my vote . also the 3020I is pretty decent my mates got one.
Happy new year :cool:
Dan
From a certain period, I'd personally suggest that the internals weren't hugely different, although the mid bass bump seemed to be tamed as production went on.
The MC setting on the 3020A may not be the quietest out there and possibly a touch unrefined, but I used one for years in my setup system and could easily hear small setup differences..
I have to say that if a Creek 4040 came along at similar price, I'd probably go with that one, as Creek apparently still service them should it be necessary and by 1982-83, the 4040 was a far better amp (for us at least), the NAD's sliding down the desirability scale until the late 80's models came along (I believe Chris Evans, ex A&R director and before he started Myryad, played a part in the design and/or tuning of these later models)..
im reading this thread and thinking :doh: I had chance to pick one of these neat little amps up for £30 and remember thinking at the time, am I paying too much??? :doh::doh::doh::doh: Looking on eBay they seem to sell for more. :doh:
Don't know which is best,but i took a new 3020 back the day after i got it in the early 80's and got a A&R a60.
Far better amp although is was a couple of hundred compared to £90 for the nad.