-
Arcam Alpha 5
Hi guys. I have been very lucky and was given an Alpha 5 CD player. I would like to do a couple of mods on it and compare the original and after modification. However, I am no expert and would like to do simple, inexpensive mods if this is possible.
I will be greatful for any suggestions!
Many thanks!
-
I'm no DIY expert, but if I was modding an Arcam Alpha 5 (great machine btw) I'd go straight to Trichord's site and get a new clock and psu for it. You could try a separate offboard DAC as well, or try to find a Black Box - immediate improvement.
Ahhhh the Alpha 5, my first proper CD player. :)
-
Thanks Rob. I will take a look. I already have a nice Meridian, I just wanted this as a spare and also to get busy with the soldering iron! I just hope I don't end up upsetting the meridian with a new improved Alpha 5 !
-
There should be plenty of threads and articles about the Alpha 5.
Here's one.
The non-oversampling mod must be one of the most worthwhile.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-54617.html
Here's another. More of an alternative output stage than a tweak.
http://www.lampizator.eu/index.html
-
Hi Steve,
Les W from Avondale Audio (he's a member here but more active over on pfm) should be your first port of call for advice. The Alpha 5 is (and has been been for years) a prime candidate for his modifications. I should imagine that what he doesn't know about modifying the AA5 isn't worth knowing. He's also a very nice and helpful chap :)
Marco.
-
NOS mod
recap it, PSU's and regulation lines
Change output filter op-amps (NE5534 ) to same as the I/V op-amps (op27)
Remove muting transistors
Change Bi-polar output coupling caps to 1-10uf films
Change standard diodes to something like schottky 11DQ10
Theres a lot of things I can suggest but some things are not recommended for beginners.
Having somebody like Les to mod it would be the best bet IMO if your not sure
-
Thanks guys !!!
I will look into all of the suggestions, there seems to be a lot of things that can be done. It will give me something to think about prior to xmas stress-fest.
:)
-
It's worth thinking about larger value replacements for those 14x decoupling caps around the TDA1541A. Arcam were onto this already, hence the 4x 0.47uf orange tantalum caps for the MSB and, err, next MSB decoupling caps... it would be worth considering increasing the first pair or two to 1uf and the rest to 0.47uf.
-
Les W is well worth getting to know, whatever you do with an A5, as he keeps mechs for them, either new or fully refurbished with warranty......... bearing in mind the short production life of these consumables, it's worth knowing IMO...
-
Thanks again chaps. I have been away and so have not had a cjance yet to check out all the options. Hopefully I will have a good look over the next week or so.