Nice one, László. It looks good. It'll be interesting finding out what you think of the sonic results you've achieved, and whether or not you consider them to be superior to what you obtained with the stock crossovers :)
Marco.
Printable View
Nice one, László. It looks good. It'll be interesting finding out what you think of the sonic results you've achieved, and whether or not you consider them to be superior to what you obtained with the stock crossovers :)
Marco.
A pair of tidy Lancasters with 15" MGs sold for £2100 on eBay today. Nice to know that I have an appreciating asset!
Cos they're bloody good! :)
Today I mounted out the rotary (energy and treble) switches and they are quite easy to clean. They were very-very dirty but now they are shining. I cleaned the connections and relubricated the whole thing. Now it looks like new.
I think there is no need to bypass these selector switches, they only need some cleaning.
I made some photos about the process but unfortunately I forgot to shot some photos of the original (dirty) condition :-(
If you're interested let me know and I will upload the photos.
Yes please - it all adds interest to the thread :)
Marco.
Here are the photos. I hope it can be seen on the first few photos how dirty the rotary selector was. The bottom round plate can be taken off easily so the connection van be cleaned.
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6...040826a.th.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3...040831e.th.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5927/p1040841v.th.jpg
The last few photos are taken after the selector was cleaned and put together.
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7...40846pl.th.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9210/p1040847k.th.jpg
There is one additional photos on which I show how did re-organized the crossover placement so I could make the cable going to the treble and energy selector much shorter. You can also see my new wires which I added instead of the original ones. I could also nicely clean the 4pin connector so I will use them.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5...040845c.th.jpg
Nice work, László - I'm sure that will make quite a difference! :)
Marco.
Thanks :-) I hope that it will make a big difference. The only problem that I did not carry these modification out one after another so I could see the difference and know which made the biggest improvement. Unfortunately I don't have time to take it apart then change something again, then again...
I wonder how much improvement would bring the cleaning of the switches...
I am almost done with the second speaker. This one went much faster as I already knew how to take things apart and which was is the best to clean.
The only thing that is needed to solder in the new wires which are already cut into appropriate pieces.
I am wondering if the connections points in the rotary switches are silver or not?!
Find attached some photos about the original layout of the crossover placement and wiring as well as the rotary selector switch from the other cabinet. You can see how dirty they are. No wonder why they degrade the sound so much.
There is also one photo on which you can see them cleaned.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/74/p1040853c.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2048/p1040859cl.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8572/p1040856i.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8915/p1040862n.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3333/p1040883t.jpg
I hope you like the photos and convince you to clean yours :-)
Shuggie!
Are there any news about your experiment with the cabinet opening?
No news, since I am juggling a busy work schedule as well as 6 week-old puppies!
Hi László,
I enlarged the picture for you, so people could see the dirt you've removed more clearly! :)
Marco.
Another pair of 15" Monitor Gold Lancasters sold today on eBay for £2333.
If only we'd known at the time..... And old ones can be properly serviced too..
Just as a matter of interest what price were they new...?
I'm guessing but less than £200 :eyebrows: Maybe less than £100 :eek: