Good idea. You may find some Devons at a fair price still, although they may need re-foaming.
Printable View
Good idea. You may find some Devons at a fair price still, although they may need re-foaming.
sure, Dave, i'll
Hi Malcolm,
The schematic I used is shown here:
http://www.guitars-of-love.com/tanno...ssovermods.htm
Component wise, I used Clarity Cap SR capacitors, Dueland resistors, and Mundorf Air-core foil coil inductors of the appropriate value, as shown in the schematic. All components and ancillaries were purchased from Hi-fi Collective: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/
I also removed the sonically degrading treble controls and hard-wired the drive units in the 'flat' position. High-quality WBT speaker terminals were fitted and the internal wiring all replaced and upgraded with VDH CS-14 Hybrid cable, shown here: http://www.vandenhul.com/p_D03AF.aspx
All in, I spent approximately £1200 on the crossover components and ancillary items, and so with the Lockwood Majors (fitted with 15" Monitor Golds) costing me as standard £2.5k, I have for a total of £3.7k a pair of speakers that in terms of sonics and musical realism one would likely have to pay in excess of £30k today to obtain.
SPPV yet again at its best! ;)
Hope this helps :cool:
Marco.
Thanks a lot for the Gold XO link, Marco.
I'm sure it won't be long before I do a bit of Marty Meddling in this area - esp. if don't hear that Tannoy sparkly treble thing goin' on, once Steve's finished with the cabinets.