Lol - don't they have flash units on digital cameras in Denmark? ;)
Marco.
Printable View
Lol - don't they have flash units on digital cameras in Denmark? ;)
Marco.
:lolsign:
Hi Martin,
The Lockwoods look great now - I must get mine done! How are they sounding compared to before, after the recent mods? :)
I love your room, too - it has nice, cosy, homely feel to it, so I can imagine you have great times there listening to some fine tunes! :cool:
Marco.
Hi martin kbh - so our mutual friend convinced me to take a set of Lockwood Major boxes for my Tannoy Monitor Golds - can't wait to get them this weekend and hook them up to the EAR 549s - Great to see your set up - that EAR 912 - that is state of the art - nice work on your finished cabs
Hi Ruben,
Welcome to AoS :)
Glad you love Tannoy Monitor Golds in Lockwood Cabinets - so do I! ;)
However, could you please pop into the Welcome area and say 'hello', telling us about your system and music tastes, as this is required of all new members joining our community.
Cheers and good luck with your forthcoming speaker project! :cool:
Marco.
For those who may be interested in the EAR 549 there is a pair up for sale here on ebay...a bit optimistic on the price if you ask me.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230614547403
Ummm - I thought big ATC's were for hooligans :lolsign:
My recent visit to hifi dave showed me how large the TD124 is in actuality (I'd forgotten) and yours is totally dwarfed by the Lockwood Majors :eek:
Sentimentality dictates that I stay with the BBC legacy for now, but of all the alternatives, good vintage Tannoy is never far behind, although the best Tannoys seem to be the huge ones ;)
Oooo - errr :lol:
I've just shown the Lockwoods to wifey and she tells me she prefers the look to the Spendors, saying she'd rather have speakers looking more like that but obviously smaller.
I'm thinking well-sorted Cheviots perhaps, although Berkeleys up against the wall (ooh missus) might be a possibility :)
How very true is that... 'Unspectacular' they may look, but boy do they work!Quote:
I'm sure that you will love and keep the Lockwood cabs...this very simple boxdesign somehow makes the TMG sing.
Dave, tell wifey yer gettin' a pair of Lockwoods, and she'll have to like it or lump it, or it'll be HER going against the back wall on the naughty step!! ;)
Marco.
Mine are even beginning to to look the job:-) I have just finished making new stands/feets for the cabs. They are simple cubes measuring 70mm x 70mm x 70mm in massive pine which i simply spray-coloured in silver like the rest of my furniture feet. These cubes are glued to the cabinet base and underneath each foot I have used some damping material. The bottom edge is about 20mm over the floor allowing a free airflow. The difference is surprising - the bass is much more articulated and my wooden floors are less energised.
http://www.hifiklubben.dk/produkter/...eet-_light.htm
http://66u7xa.bay.livefilestore.com/...004.jpg?psid=1
http://66u7xa.bay.livefilestore.com/...003.jpg?psid=1
http://66u7xa.bay.livefilestore.com/...002.jpg?psid=1
If you have big boxy speakers and they are on the floor you should try this - great results in my room.
very nice Martin i'm very jelous :drool:
Thanks Jon
You have no reason to be...I have seen the amount pearls passing through your living room:eyebrows: How do get all that stuff?
I am interested in your opinion on valve based dacs. Any pearls?
This is my current DAC-setup. Benchmark DAC-1, Squeezebox with a regulated PSU from Welborne Labs.
http://f9ocoq.bay.livefilestore.com/...PSU.jpg?psid=1
I use the Cambridge Dacmagic at the office with my headphones - great dac but the Benchmark is by far superior....better line stage. I have also tried the AN DAC Zero and One - nice glow but I feel its lacking details...to pleasing. I am sure that i.e. the DAC Five is fantastic...but too costly. I dreaming of a valvebased DAC around the 1500-2000GBP mark.
Superb job, Martin - they look really nice in that finish! :)
You can't beat a nice pair of 15" drivers in huge cabinets pumping out yer choons, can you? Tiny speakers are for poofs... :eyebrows:
Marco.
Not valve based but I can't recommend the Moon 300D highly enough......
The Audio Note 1x dacs are a good step up from the basic Zero dacs, my home built Valve dac ( made by Tubehunter) is a good one and punches up there with the top end AN ones, i have not had that much experience with different dacs but you could always add a valve buffer in between the dac and pre amp or just use a valve preamp anyway as this is essentually adding in a valve buffer, i find that this can take the hardness out of the solid state part of things if you are finding this a problem, there are a few good dac kits out there that are very cheap and worth having a play with, have a look on this site loads of interesting stuff here, diy is where you can get value for money
Dave at Heatherdale Audio has a few AN dacs if your interested in these,
Is Martin still about?
Be great to get an update :)
That's the kind of system that calls you to close your eyes and simply enjoy the music!
Very nice!!
Rick.