-
Sansui nostalgia
Hi,
I joined a few weeks ago and am initially looking for a second system for use in 2 small rooms (i.e either an amp with 2 speaker outputs or a speaker switch box). I've been underwhelmed with the modern equipment I've demo'd and reading this section of the forum has roused my interest in the possibility of using vintage hifi for my second system. It has also made me reminisce about our old system which I used/abused as a teenager. In around 1978, we bought a (then very luxurious - over £600 from a UK audio consultant who was exhibiting at the Cunard/Novotel hifi show in Hammersmith - a guy called Allan Coombs) Sansui system:
TT: Sansui SR 636
Amp (Integrated Tuner Amp): TA 300
Cassette Deck: SC 1110
We also had Sansui speakers although, even looking on vintage sites, I can't find their reference number (floor standing, about 70cm high, removable cheap black foam covers attached by velcro strips and a dial inside which we never used) and it was all housed in an incredibly sturdy Sansui rack made in tough black vinyl and wood veneer which matched the speakers. It all looked marvellous and the SQ was better than anything we'd ever heard.
Unfortunately, when moving house in the mid 2000s, after many years gathering dust my parents threw the system out - very sad.
I am considering tracking down and buying the same components second-hand for my second system. I would want to add a CD player to the "Tape/Aux" output but am not sure if the connectors on the TA 300 are compatible with modern equipment. Also, it would need to power Wharfdale 7 Diamond 1 speakers and Acousting Energy Extreme 5 speakers - I remember the speaker connectors were different to today's - can they be adapted to take banana plugs? I know nothing about hifi so would be reassured if there is a reputable place in London that can service/repair old Sansui products.
Do you think this could work or has nostalgia go the better of me? I'd be very grateful to hear from any Sansui enthusiasts.
Thanks, Rob
-
No its not stupid and it could work well!! I tracked my mates old sansui system down for him and it sounds bloody great! I think you'll find that there are plenty of Sansui people on AOS, in fact its a brand that really should get more attention IMHO.
-
Thanks Rexton for quick reply and encouragement! So you think I'm ok with those speakers and with adding a CDP?
I guess best place to start looking is ebay. Do you know of anywhere else? Thx
-
A CD player will work fine just plug it into tuner, tape in or Aux. I like the look of Sansui, if you can get a matching system with tape deck and all it will look pretty cool. Shouldn't be that hard unless you are fussy about what models you want. The speakers will be tough to source though, you do see them crop up from time to time but they are big so you will probably need to travel to get them.
-
Thanks Macca. In the interim, do you think the amp would be ok feeding Wharfdale 7.1 and AE Extreme 5?
Regarding models, like you, I love the look but if separate integrated amp and tuner would be better or if anyone recommends other models of the same period, I'd go with what's available/best.
-
[IMG]http://theartofsound.net/forum/pictu...pictureid=1061[/IMG]Sansui AU-555A is a great amp and well worth a shot if you can find one.Ive been using one in a second system for a long time,doesen't get used enough though.
-
The wharfies no problem don't know the AE speakers. Depending on what you want to spend, the cheaper amps go for around £50 or less. Personally I'd go for one of the bigger flagship efforts, ideally one that has been serviced in the last few years. Maybe £250 to £300, less if you drop on, they are not that much in demand. Might have a look on the 'bay to see what is available I think...
-
Just had a look, couple of range toppers at stupid prices, but you could have the whole of that old system you recall back for around a grand!:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sansui-HiF...item35bdc6f930
-
Don't forget, the boot sale season is starting. If you have any decent ones near you, they can be a very good source of vintage Hi-Fi.
-
Thanks all. I'll start surfing.
Regarding my AE Extreme 5 speakers, it lists amplifier compatability as 25w - 125w into 8ohms.
Other info (meaning nothing to me): Frequency Response:70Hz to 18kHz +/- 3dB; Frequency Range: 60Hz to 20kHz @ -6dB; Power Handling: 125W peak programme; Nominal Impedence: 8 ohms; Sensitivity: 89dB for 1 Watt at 1 metre.
Does this set any alarm bells ringing for a 1970s amp?
Thanks again