PDA

View Full Version : The Absolute Sound/Hi-Fi+ Guide to Vinyl Playback

MartinT
25-02-2011, 17:41
An interesting, if American-centric, read.

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-absolute-soundhi-fi-guide-vinyl-playback-0?src=Playback

Wakefield Turntables
25-02-2011, 17:50
WOW thanks for that :cool:

colinB
25-02-2011, 18:11
Good read.
So what you buying Martin :eyebrows:

MartinT
25-02-2011, 18:20
Well, I've bought loads of vinyl gear in the last year so I'm good, thanks :)

Mike New bearing, Mike New platter, Dynavector DV-507II arm, Dynavector DV-20X2L cartridge, Paul Hynes SR-5 PSU.

colinB
25-02-2011, 18:24
Respect.

MartinT
25-02-2011, 18:38
This is interesting, from Doug Sax:

For example, I’m going to be doing the Roger Waters albums on vinyl and they have extraordinary low end, requiring an astonishing amount of vertical modulation. We use up the full depth available on a lacquer master. You can’t do anything like that on DMM. It’s very thin; you can’t go deep. For that kind of thing it could be an absolute joke.

It just oozes experience. The man is a class act.

colinB
25-02-2011, 19:27
I have several DMM mastered vinyl and have come to the conclusion i dont like them. Vocals reproduction particularly.

DSJR
25-02-2011, 21:39
I read years ago that DMM cuts have to be filtered off below 60Hz to prevent mod noise.

I know Mr Sax is extremely talented and experienced in mastering and IMO has done the best Pink Floyd stereo masters - he's someone I trust in any case - compare the TML cuts of The Wall to the DMM and other EMI cuts done after - yuch!. The Roger Waters recordings have some sort of spatial enhancements done and cutting shedloads of out-of-phase bass is going to be a severe task for vinyl cutting I reckon - most commercial cuts mono'd the bass and filtered deep bass off if there was any there in the master.