PDA

View Full Version : GLOW AUDIO ONE SET amp /phones especially

hornucopia
25-02-2011, 13:10
Just a quick initial post in case someone is coming to Bristol show this weekend.......
Am selling my lovely Cream Glow One SET amp.
Actually it's 'Pearl' colour...
check here for review.
tp://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/glow/one.html
£240, I guess.

http://www.glow-audio.com/glowstuff.html

Glow One amp?
Well, I didn’t NEED it but…..there are times when you treat yourself to something nice. It LOOKED lovely. And resisting the temptation to choose Man United Red, I chose this lovely Cream. I think it suits the ‘Deco/Retro” styling of the amp.
I justified buying it by telling myself I needed a headphone amp for bedside use (though I mainly used my A-Technica WTH-1000s –now sold - straight from the iPod……)
It sounds great through phones, and I’ve tried it briefly through various speakers, out of curiosity mainly.
I DID have Snell E-111s in the bedroom for a while and they sounded divine with the Glow. It may say only 6 watts output, but I never got more than ’12-o-clock’- on the dial. Vocals especially were lovely. I guess it’d match well with the Audionote equivalents, though it would SEEM a price mis-match!
BUT….I did run it into my Avantgarde Duos and it was great there too!
It’s very quiet, which you don’t expect from a valve amp necessarily. Self-biasing too, so no adjusting needed.
It LOOKS lovely. And would be a great Desktop amp. Volume dial light gradually changes colour when it’s on; tacky, or cool? Your choice!
You can run iTunes straight into it via usb as it has built in dac too!
I know of a couple of wammers who use this amp as their main amp. Just need to realise that Valve amps don’t HAVE to be huge blocks of glowing tubes etc!?
So; lovely looking AND SET sound too.
Definite waf factor here!
It’s quite a heavy thing, so postage guessed at £15. I have the original box of course.
I’d rather it was fetched or we meet.
Chris
Sorry. Don’t know how to post pics on here. Just be assured that it is pristine, lightly used and the Cream colour version as seen in the reviews posted here.
I CAN send pics to e-addresses.

Why am I selling?
It just hasn’t got the oomph to drive my Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones, (the world’s least efficient phones?) though it does it quite well,
So I’m running from a big amp.
Chris in Bristol

hornucopia
26-02-2011, 15:14
Pics on Wigwam now.....

hornucopia
28-02-2011, 11:00
I used to have Snell E111s -sold in autumn- that I occasionally listened to via the Glow in the bedroom (mainly the Glow was for 'phones.)
Connected the Glow to my Ocellias last night -and now!- and (re-) surprised just how good the sound is!
SET clarity and dynamics. Lovely! Voices in the room.
On 'Shuffleplay' so different music types, but all come out very well.
I can see why folk use it as main amp.

hornucopia
22-04-2011, 14:10
Still available; nice 'Easter egg?'

aquapiranha
22-04-2011, 15:01
Lovely little amp this, if I had the cash I would have it myself - good luck with the sale.

technobear
22-04-2011, 16:41
Pics on Wigwam now.....

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?51749-GLOW-AUDIO-AMP-ONE.-SET-amp-Phones-especially!&highlight=

:)

Ali Tait
22-04-2011, 16:55
You have PM Chris.

technobear
22-04-2011, 17:54
You have PM Chris.

Bah! You had me looking for non-existent PMs there :lolsign:

Of course you meant Chris, not Chris :doh:

Ali Tait
22-04-2011, 18:18
:lolsign:

hornucopia
22-04-2011, 19:15
ALI. for pics go to the ref on Chris/Tecnobear bit.
If you read the blurb, you'll see I use it as a Headphone amp, so, yes, it has a socket.
Puts out pretty good power too, not like some!
I had a buyer but his cash didn't appear!
In pristine condition.
Thanks (other)Chris for the Wam ref.
If I had 'normal' headphones, there's no way Id be selling. It sounded divine via my Audio-Technica WTH-1000s.
And with the Snell E-111s; both now gone, and often missed.
Am even thinking of selling the Ocellias, which Chris HAS heard, and liked.
But not many folk about with £8.5K!
Have a good break everyone.

Ali Tait
22-04-2011, 20:03
You have further PM.

hornucopia
24-04-2011, 15:28
Now sold to the man above (Ali, not god!)

Ali Tait
24-04-2011, 17:09
Peace, my brothers...