PDA

View Full Version : Worst sounding album in your collection

magiccarpetride
23-02-2011, 22:10
Weather Report "Mr. Gone". Sounds like a very lame diddling with MIDI.

WAD62
24-02-2011, 12:41
The Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

A classic punk album, but my CD version of it is shocking! And I'm pretty sure it's genuine too, as I ordered it through Fopp.

Sounds like it was mastered on cassette ;)

RochaCullen
24-02-2011, 13:53
Rockferry by Duffy. Great album, but oh my the top end is far too bright. I can manage two songs before I have to turn it off.

sparrow
24-02-2011, 17:44
The Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

A classic punk album, but my CD version of it is shocking! And I'm pretty sure it's genuine too, as I ordered it through Fopp.

Sounds like it was mastered on cassette ;)

Have to agree on this one. I have the vinyl , Remaster CD & The Original CD. The remaster sounds slightly better. The vinyl probably the best of the three.

magiccarpetride
24-02-2011, 17:55
Rockferry by Duffy. Great album, but oh my the top end is far too bright. I can manage two songs before I have to turn it off.

I had a similar experience last night when I attempted to listen to Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions. Finished listening to "You Shook Me" and had to go back to the studio version on their first LP, which sounded light years ahead better than the shrill BBC crap. Unlistenable.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
24-02-2011, 18:12
I has to be, U2 Joshua Tree.
It was bought as a Christmas present for me. It is the 180g Re-Issue
The Re-mastering, Recording and Pressing absolutely C""p.

Andy - SDDW

Mothman
24-02-2011, 18:57
'Rainbow - Rising' , one of my favourite albums but the CD version I have is appalling. Every time I play it the earth moves but I think thats just Cozy Powell & Ronnie James Dio turning in there graves.

sparrow
24-02-2011, 20:41
'Rainbow - Rising' , one of my favourite albums but the CD version I have is appalling. Every time I play it the earth moves but I think thats just Cozy Powell & Ronnie James Dio turning in there graves.

The new 2 cd deluxe edition is out 7th. March...

Pete The Cat
24-02-2011, 21:37
I think "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" is also spoilt by the bass being so low in the mix. The same is true for several of Husker Du's otherwise great albums.

For me the sound on "Rainbow Rising" has always been too bright since the first vinyl run. In particular there's a shimmery effect (sorry, not a studio teccy myself so don't know what it's called) on the cymbals throughout "Stargazer" which is really distractingly scratchy. Anyway, a while ago I came across a bootleg of the album, reportedly the demo taken from a reel owned by Cozy Powell with among other things the cymbals just as normal. It sounded much more bearable and less bright overall.

My award for the worst sounding album ever (down to production) is Iggy & The Stooges' "Raw Power". Absolutely neutered :(

DSJR
24-02-2011, 21:41
My original LP sounds ok on the autochanger.......

The worst albums of recent times for me have been Empire by Kasabian (horrid brick-walled noise) and a soggy, over-limited sounding Sugarbabes compilation. I also have a three-disc Ibiza style compilation that's so over-modulated the sound is like a severely worn saphire stylus on granny's old record player (I've got one with new diamond styli so know these things :eyebrows:)

Welder
24-02-2011, 21:49
I’ve got a few, mostly modern pop. In fact, I’ve so many it would be quite a list.
Despite the appalling recording quality I can still enjoy the music.

Alex_UK
24-02-2011, 22:35
I’ve got a few, mostly modern pop. In fact, I’ve so many it would be quite a list.
Despite the appalling recording quality I can still enjoy the music.

I'd agree with that 100% - sign of the (ipod) times, I suspect - I don't think I own a recording that is so bad I can't ignore the music if its good - however I have plenty of albums that are well recorded but the music is awful! :lol: As has recently been suggested, too many people listen to the hifi (or the recording) and ignore the music - who gives a f*ck if you enjoy it? (There'll be a place for me behind that sofa with you John before too long! :D)

Welder
25-02-2011, 00:23
I spose I could squeeze up a bit :rolleyes: but you’ll need your own sleeping bag Alex…..and mind the sax. Oh arr and bring some decent coffee will ya please :)