PDA

View Full Version : Record changer that player both sides?

combwork
19-08-2008, 13:28
Apart from Seeburg (and possibly KB) did anyone else make a domestic record changer that played both sides?

Sid and Coke
20-08-2008, 21:20
Sharp made a large ghetto blaster type machine that had a linear tracking tonearm, and the record played vertically. It was quite a machine - more Audio than high fidelity though.

I can recall standing on street corners with a very good friend of mine back in about 1981/2 listening to Scorpio by Grandmaster Flash and the furious five, and Pigbag - Pig bag, at high volume, with our small posse, smoking , spitting, swearing and dancing. It didn't half munch through the 12 x D cells(iirc) though....

thrunobulaxx
21-08-2008, 05:42
Sharp made a large ghetto blaster type machine that had a linear tracking tonearm, and the record played vertically. It was quite a machine - more Audio than high fidelity though.

I can recall standing on street corners with a very good friend of mine back in about 1981/2 listening to Scorpio by Grandmaster Flash and the furious five, and Pigbag - Pig bag, at high volume, with our small posse, smoking , spitting, swearing and dancing. It didn't half munch through the 12 x D cells(iirc) though....
You mean the VZ-3500 ?
My mother had one and i inherited it non working, its in my loft in around 500 pieces, i never did get it sorted, from memory it didn`t sound too clever and the sensor mech was a pig if it went wrong.

It was very easy to scratch records if you were not very carefull when loading it.

combwork
22-08-2008, 07:38

I think I remember those. Linear tracking with a pickup arm that played both sides of the record. It was a single player though. The Seerburg AP2 and their range of Home Stereo Consoles held 50 LP's and could automatically play one or both sides of any of them. The earlier Seeburg library units did the same thing first with 78's (late 40's/early 50's) and later with 45's. I've a limited knowledge of the Seeburgs and none at all of the KB player, which I've only seen pictures of. I was just wondering if any other Juke Box manufacturer had a go at adapting their commercial mechs for the domestic market.