PDA

View Full Version : To Rack-Mount a Caiman

Labarum
21-02-2011, 16:04
Well not exactly rack-mount. I would like to attach the Caiman vertically on a plate or pair of bars which I will screw to the back of a flat screen telly using the VESA mount fixings. I would try to get the DAC just out of sight so I could reach round the edge of the screen to adjust volume or change channel. The Caiman would take an optical feed from the TV and an RCA S/PDIF from a Squeezebox classic which sits neatly in front of the telly, resting on the TV base.

The TV will stand on a single "Besta" box from Ikea. That box will house a Quad 405 with it's heat sink poking out of the back panel of the box. It should be a clutter free installation.

Now for my question. How best may I attach the Caiman to the plate or pair of bars I fix the the back of the telly?

I am minded to replace with longer screws the four that hold together the top and bottom of the case. Would that work? What is the diameter and thread of those screws?

Has anyone any other simple ideas? Input from Stan would be most appreciated.

HighFidelityGuy
21-02-2011, 16:28
As daft as it might sound I'd probably just attach the Caiman to a thin alu plate with sticky backed velcro and then bolt the plate to the vesa mount holes as you mentioned. If you used a big piece of velcro it would be very strong but fairly easy to remove and non-destructive. ;)

Labarum
21-02-2011, 16:31
sticky backed velcro

What an amazingly simple idea! I am sure it would work.

HighFidelityGuy
21-02-2011, 16:55
No probs. :cool: